• In the Spotlight:

Does anyone get migranes? If so, do you take prescription medicine for them? How did your dr. diagnose as migranes?

I've been getting horrible headaches lately. I used to get them in H.S., but just recently started getting them again. Yesterday, I had one so bad, I couldn't see. My hubby had to come get me from work! Any suggestions?

themacs4

Asked by themacs4 at 12:51 PM on Jan. 20, 2009 in Health

• I use to get migraines a lot. They always landed me in the ER. I knew it was a migraine coming just by the way it felt. I would have sensitivity to sound and light, and they would cause me to vomit non-stop. Also the pain would mainly be on one side of my head. I would try to take excedrin migraine to help. Sometimes it would, other times I need an injection of Imitrax.

My Dr. wouldn't Rx the Imitrax for me, but did suggest I start taking 1000mg of magnesium and 1500 mg of Ribuflavin per day. That helped ease the number of migraines I got, but didn't stop them completely.

Turns out mine were cause by undiagnosed astigmatism.
    Angel8203

Answer by Angel8203 at 2:24 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• honestly excederin never worked for me.. I use to smoke pot to get rid of mine.
    Anonymous

• i get migraines twice a week. i'm breastfeeding so the meds that i can take really don't help. but there are a lot of medicines out there that can help you. Benadryl and tylonol or ibprofen helps a lot.
    RenaJean

Answer by RenaJean at 3:20 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• To diagnose them, most physicians need only a description of the pain and it's onset, and a family history. If they think there is a specific cause, they may do a CT.

I've had migraines since I was 12. I don't take the prescription meds if I can avoid it, which is pretty much all the time, because I don't like to take meds unless I absolutely have to. I have been given fioricet, which is basically excedrin migraine with a sedative added, and Imitrex, and Midrin. Most times I am able to get a handle on it with 3 excedrin migraine or taking 3 motrin and 2 tylenol together with a healthy dose of caffeine.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 4:00 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• I get migraines and what you need to do is see a nuerologist. :) feel free to hit me up with questions or to vent. I'm no expert but I can tell you what I've learned
    CuppiBunni11o

Answer by CuppiBunni11o at 5:08 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• getting rid of migraines can be as simple as changing your diet. cut out msg, nitrates, taking a multi vitamin might help too. once I cut out those two major issues, my migraines have greatly decreased. You can also go to your local bookstore or library and get the migraines for dummies book. I read it and it made a difference
    Anonymous