Epidural

I have been seriously contemplating not getting an epidural during labor. I was never against drugs during labor but I've heard some scary (though rare, I know) things about epidurals and I was just wondering if anyone's been given an IV or something to take the edge off the pain and NO epidural and how that worked for you?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:06 PM on Jan. 20, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I did have an epidural and wanted to share my story with you. Right before they broke my water the anesethsiologist came into the room, had me lean forward on a pillow and stay still. He poked me once (it felt like he hit my funny bone, just in my back), put a couple of pieces of tape on my back and said I'm done. Just like that, no pain, no problems. I don' t have back pains to this day! Personally I would suggest the epidural. It makes the birthing process more enjoyable. I would ask that the head anesethesiologist preform this though, so that you are sure you are getting the best care! Hope this helps!
    sidzwif

Answer by sidzwif at 1:13 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• hire a doula to help you manage the pain naturally. Depending on your co-pay for the labor, it may even be cheaper than getting an epi.

There are several reasons why epi's aren't the safest thing, namely that they increase your chance of having a c-section.
    whohannah

Answer by whohannah at 1:08 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• i was the same way with my first son i didnt want the epidural so i went for the iv drugs i didnt like it it made me very sleepy i kept going in and out. after the iv drugs wore off i ended up with a epi it made things more enjoyble i could still kind of feel my contractions but they werent so bad.
    Id say only you know how you will react to certain things.
    Anonymous

• I had some pain meds before I got the Epidural. I dont remember what it was. But obviously it didn't work the greatest cuz I ended up w/ the epidural anyway.
    Tiffany237

Answer by Tiffany237 at 1:10 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• I never got the epidural, but remember anything you take especially IV drugs will pass through the placenta and will essentially drug the baby.

There are a million pain management techniques and drugs are not needed for labor so look into your options.

I went through an induction with no epi :)
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 1:14 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• i had fentinal and it didnt make a dent. but then again, the pain from the labor was MUCH MUCH easier to deal with befor the pitocin they made me have. thats where the real pain started. its cool if you dont think you want one, but dont beat yourself up if you get one. it takes a long time for the epidural to reach the baby, so if you wait closer to the end (i got mine at 8cms but i wanted it at 7!) then the baby is less likely to be affected. good luck! = )
    disheveled

Answer by disheveled at 1:43 PM on Jan. 20, 2009