• In the Spotlight:

Curiosity: Group Prayers

When you're being led in a group prayer... and you're really following along & participting with the prayer (not going over your grocery list in your head LOL)... and whoever is leading the prayer says something you don't agree with.... what are your thoughts? What do you do? Do you add a little mental asterisk to God stating "the views expressed by this person do not reflect my views..." or something like that?

I'm just wondering.

Laura1229

Asked by Laura1229 at 1:15 PM on Jan. 20, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I'm not sure I've ever really disagreed with someone's prayer. For the most part, I believe prayer is to give thanks and to ask that you open your heart up to God's will. Asking for "specific" things to happen is not following God's will, but trying to manipulate your own desires in to play.
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 1:20 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• I don't say "Amen" unless I completely agree with the prayer. That would be lying.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 1:22 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• I pray for them and ask God to do whats right in His eyes according to His plan. I may not agree with whats being prayed for but God has his plan and if he chooses to answer it its not for me to question. So I may pray something like God I dont agree with this but please do what is in Your Plan for this person, if your plan includes this then please answer it, if not show this person a new plan or route to what they are asking.

Answer by gemgem at 1:23 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• Well, no.. I didn't mean asking FOR specific things, really. It's like --- okay, for example, there was a discussion just the other day about the KKK and what they teach religiously. If you were at some function and someone with those beliefs somehow led a prayer that you participated in, you probably would disagree with their statements, right? Or even not to that extreme... say a "guest pastor" visits your church and leads a group prayer?

So, I just wondered... if you're participating in a group prayer being led by one person --- so you actually ARE praying to whatever God you truly believe in --- and something is said in that prayer to God on your behalf (& everyone else's behalf who is there) that you do NOT agree with or think is wrong....I just wondered what went through your head?
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 1:29 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• I guess I wouldn't be in that situation then, because I wouldn't be a function or church that held completely different viewpoints than what I believe in.
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 1:31 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• i usually think "whoa! not sure what to think about that!" but i do agree with gemgem. ask God to let His will be done in that situation, and to give me wisdom to know what is right in that.
    ivelostmyself

Answer by ivelostmyself at 1:41 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• i would probably be like holy crap did they just say that. i wonder who else disagrees. of course this would all be in my head. that is all i would do. i have never heard anyone say anything that i didn't agree with though. we usually ask that the spirit be with us, or help the teacher get her message though, bless this family, food, etc. so i would probably wonder if i was in the right place.....especially if they are talking about KKK.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 3:38 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• "the views expressed by this person do not reflect my views..."

MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 4:16 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• I agree with Lexylex....I don't say "Amen" unless I completely agree with the prayer. That would be lying.

By saying Amen it basicaly means you are in agreement with what the person has just said.
    BabayBella

Answer by BabayBella at 10:14 PM on Jan. 20, 2009