age of child and pacifier

At what age should a child no longer be using a pacifier and how do you wean them off?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:24 PM on Jan. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• IMO, one year is the max.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 1:27 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• If you would have never let your baby have a pacifier. You wouldn't have to wean them off.

Answer by louise2 at 1:27 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• Are you serious louise? That's like saying if you didn't give them the breast or bottle
    Anonymous

• I would try weaning at a year. Louise, why did you even have to say that? That was not even part of the question. There is so much judging on this site.
    lynnem1211

Answer by lynnem1211 at 1:29 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• The breast or bottle are necessary. For the baby to eat ,get nutrition. A Pacifier is just to PASCFI. Shut the kid up. It's not necessary, the child will not die without it

Answer by louise2 at 1:34 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• Geez, louise.

We didn't wean. We just took them away. The oldest was 13 months.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:36 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• LYNNEM1211. I didn't judge. I just gave my Opinion. To giving babies pacifiers. That's all. Not just to the post, but to all moms.

Answer by louise2 at 1:36 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• MY SON STOPED HIM SELF AT 7 MONTHS
    mom_since08

Answer by mom_since08 at 1:39 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• well apparently louise is the perfect mom in case you guys didnt realize. next she will tell you pacifiers cause disease lol. My 7 month old is already sick of her bink, my friend has twins who are 16 mos and hate them too, however all children are different. When my brother was 3 he still screamed for it, my mom took him to the doc for help getting rid of it and all his ped said was "youve never seen a kid in kindergarten with one!" he or she will grow out of it at some point, i plan on once my DD is old enough to understand having her "give her B (thats what we call it) to all the new babies that need them" that way she feels like she is helping and a big girl instead of me being a mean mommy lol
    Kennadismom

Answer by Kennadismom at 1:41 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• Why 'answer' the question if you are not going to be helpful. The question wasn't 'What is your opinion on pacifiers?' Some people just can't help themselves.

I think if they have not self weaned by one then you should try to wean. I would first wean them to just night use and then go cold turkey with the night use. It will result in a few crying nights, but will be over before you know it. If they are older and still have one then you can try and explain to them that they are big now and don't need it. Even have them throw it in the trash themselves. Good luck!
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 1:41 PM on Jan. 20, 2009