How long do u play with ur 9 month old baby

Sometimes he seems to be okay just watching TV and playing by himself. I always sit in the same room and he crawls up to me when he is lonely. Is that ok or should I be playing with him for hours a day???? Like take right now for example.....I'm on the computer and he is watching Barney like a foot away from me. Am I a bad mom?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:40 PM on Jan. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I ALWAYS PLAY WITH JAIDEN 10MONTH OLD FOR A FEW HOURS BUT ITS HARD BECAUSE I WORK FULL TIME
    mom_since08

Answer by mom_since08 at 1:46 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• I try to split my time between giving her alone time and mommy time. I want my DD to be independent and creative, so I think that some time playing alone is important. I also want her to be appropriately stimulated with new experiences, language, etc. so I spend lots of time doing one on one play with her. I'd say on average I spend about 30 minutes out of every "Awake" hour playing with her, and the other half doing chores or just taking some me time to get on the comp or read a book.
    Kimebs

Answer by Kimebs at 1:58 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• sounds kinda like me. lol but my daughter hangs out with me all the time. the only time shes on her own is when i shower really...and sometimes with that she showers with me if shes not taking a nap. i try to make everything a game for her...to play with her, or teach her... i dont think your a bad mom. just as long your kid isnt ALWAYS by them self, then it should be ok. id say a couple hours a day would be cool
    kiliki_malie

Answer by kiliki_malie at 2:46 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• It's HEALTHY. It means that your baby's got a secure attachment to you. He's not afraid that if he's not clinging to you that you'll leave. He knows you're there if he needs you or if he wants to play with you, so it's ok for him to play alone and do his thing.

That being said, Barney's a cruel punishment. ;-)
    Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 3:57 PM on Jan. 20, 2009