Stay at home moms: Does your husband give you a allowance?

I was wondering if your husband gives you an allowance or $ a month just for you. I am a stay at home mom M-F but worked outside of the home on the weekends. My hours at my job are no longer need come Feb. 1st so I will now not have any of my $ for shopping, take my daughter out ect. So we were talking last night and he said he would give me an allowance..sounds like I am a kid all over. Just wanted to know what others do for their spending $$.

mommytobrooke

Asked by mommytobrooke at 1:42 PM on Jan. 20, 2009 in Money & Work

• I think it depends on how you look at it. The word "allowance" itself may be what makes you feel like a kid...because it's generally associated with something children get. But I think he's offering you something really good and from the heart. Basically he's going to allot out a specific amount of money for you and your daughter to have fun with each month. When it's gone it's gone. Don't let the word itself hold you back. A lot of people don't get "fun money" to play with at all. So you're still coming out ahead.
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 1:44 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• I handle all the money and we spend what we need to as needed. We share the money.
    Anonymous

• ROFL.... LOL OMG......

*Whew* ... Allowance.... That's a good one!
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 1:43 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• well i work part time now.. but whatever i wanted i just either used the check book or my credit card and he paid/pays it off each month. And he'd usually give me 20 a week cash for whwatever
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 1:43 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• No, he just lets me know if the money is there or not.. I ask if its okay to go to lunch, or how much I can spend at a store if I know money is tight. We share the money.
    Christina1607

Answer by Christina1607 at 1:45 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• Hell no! I'm not ten! LOL. We just put our money together,I do not depend on him. I just try to communicate and let him know, ''Hey, I got gas and bought a few things,'' or ''I'm going out tomorrow, I'm taking ____'' I just remind him sometimes,so we can communicate and know whats going on. I also have my own business and money too....but I enjoy using his money better. LOL
    sweetest-sin7

Answer by sweetest-sin7 at 1:46 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• No, your married there should never be an allowance, ya if you were a kid. You just need to see how much you have to be able to do the things you want to do and just go from there. You both need to come to a agreement with that.
    businesswife1

Answer by businesswife1 at 1:46 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• In the beginning, yes...about $250/month, but that was JUST for me--my husband technically pays for everything kid related, along with bills, things for our home, gas, etc.

The money he gave me, was for me to buy clothes, makeup, hair/nail appointments--personal stuff. I also had my own little gift basket/favor/floral business--in which I completely responsible for the taxes, procurement of goods, inventory, and of course sales--in which I kept all of the profits.

I have ALWAYS worked, and not having my OWN money has been the HARDEST thing for me to adjust to these past 7+ years! I will however, be working regular part-time "mother's hours" in September, once my younger child begins full-day Kindergarten....YAY!!! LOL
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 1:49 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• I agree with munch12502. I don't look at it like an allowance. I consider it my salary. I work hard around the house, and do all kinds of things to save us money. I deserve a little compensation for it! Then I do online surveys to pad it so I can have more fun.
    desert_diva

Answer by desert_diva at 1:52 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• I should have also said that we have "yours, mine and ours" checking, savings and credit/debit cards. Obviously, if I NEED something desperately then I can use whatever credit/checking account I need and vice-versa. We have access to each others account (all in the same bank), but having my OWN money and my OWN accounts means he can never get annoyed if I want to splurge on something frivolous! LOL!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 1:54 PM on Jan. 20, 2009