can't get my 7yr.old to go to bed!!!!!!!!

my 7yr. old has allways had problems going to bed... my issue is I talked to his teacher and found out he is laying his head down @ school and trying to go to sleep... I have talked to his Doctor about this and he said give it one more month and if still having problems he will put him on something to help him go to sleep... I need to find some way of getting him to go to bed earlier...(befor 10..) We get up @ 6 in the morning and you would think he would be ready by 8 but he's not. I don't want to do the sleeping med. I know when I take something like that i wanna sleep for 2 day's.. I dont want to do that to my kid anyone out there have any suggestions???

missunflower

Asked by missunflower at 1:48 PM on Jan. 20, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Do you have a routine for bedtime? If not you might want to try a warm bath, a bedtime story  or a quite talk time with him and a small glass of milk. Do something like this every night, even on the weekends. Same with getting up, same time on the weekends. Do not like him nap during the afternoon. Make sure that he is getting some sort of exercise after school too. This should tire him a little. Make sure it's not close to bedtime. Try something like this. It won't happen overnight. I might take a month. Hope this gives you some light at the end of your tunnel. I do this with my 5 year old. It wasn't easy either. But it does work.

Fibro-Mom

Answer by Fibro-Mom at 3:59 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• Since he is 7 then if you give him 1 teaspoon of honey about half an hour before bedtime then it will act as a sedative (without the after effects). Just be sure that he is ready for bed and not playing video games after you give him this, reading in bed is a good activity because it can make him feel sleepy.

My son (also 7) has his bed time, and if he isn't tired then he can lay quietly and think about what ever he chooses to think about or I will read to him (he doesn't like to read).
    indigostone

Answer by indigostone at 6:28 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• we also have had the same issues with our son falling asleep in class. This year we have been trying to get him in a routine to go to bed at 8pm or 9pm. My son has always been an early riser since he was a baby and he's 7 now. I try to keep a routine to get him settled down. Last year we got calls that he was falling asleep in class. He has problems expressing himself when it comes to writing and he doesn't want to do the work in school and wants to sleep.

I like some of the advice I see here. I try to get him to take a bath with lavender. We also put a password on the computer and if he gets up early I tell him to lay back down and rest.
    tinateee

Answer by tinateee at 9:12 AM on Jan. 21, 2009