Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If my bf and i get married how would he become a legal citizen?

PLEASE NO RUDE ANSWERS! my bf and ihave been dating for a while now....after my divorce form my XH i thought i was going to be alone the rest of my life..then i met my bf..he is mexican....he is wonderfull with my kids...they adore him too..he treats me like a queen..and would do anything for me...he is a good guy..doesnt smoke or drink or do drugs. works 2 full time jobs .....he has been here for 11 years...BUT he isnt a citizen...we have gotten pretty serious...and i am starting to feel like i want to spend the rest of my life with would he become a citizen. if we got married would he become one? i dont forsee us getting married anytime soon...but i was jsut thinking about IF we did how would all that work?


Asked by Anonymous at 2:01 PM on Jan. 20, 2009 in Relationships

This question is closed.
Answers (14)
  • He has to become a resident 1st then in 5 years he can apply for his citizenship. It's only easy if he crossed the boarder legally, with a passport and visa, like a tourist. If he crossed the boarder through the river or with fake papers then he could have a problem there. It also depends in what year he crossed the boarder because there are different laws that will protect you if you crossed like 5 years ago then if you crossed 10 years ago. If he crossed legally all he needs to do is apply for his residency pay $370, then they will send him a paper saying his papers are in progress which protects him from being deported. He will get an appointment at the nearest immigration office and they will only ask simple questions to make sure the marriage is not just to get his papers. If he crossed illegally then they might charge you a higher fee like $1,000-$3,000.

    Answer by DianaT. at 3:07 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

  • My cousin married an illegal. I'm not sure why, but it didn't make him legal. I would think it would make him legal, but I think there might be more to it than just marrying him. If you love him, marry him.

    Answer by MBsMom2004 at 2:07 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

  • they have to file for citizian ship but thats tricky. Getting married wont make him legal to be here.

    Answer by Mommy2B04 at 2:10 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

  • Speaking from personal experience (hubby from El-Salvador) he would not automatically become a citizen. It would definitely not hurt at all. My DH had a work permit when we met and during our time together he has gotten his resident card. Now once he has his residence card for three years then he can apply for his citizenship which we are getting ready to do. The process is not hard at all. He went throught the process easily, when he went to get his resident because we waited for like four years after we were married and we had three kids so we didn't get a lawyer just turned in the forms that we had to. I have heard that if you recently gotten married when applying then you may need to jump through some hoops, they like to make sure that you guys are married because you love each other not because he paid you because that does happen. Good luck. email me if you have any other questions.

    Answer by Jenlos at 2:12 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

  • i do love him sooo much! i have never had a guy treat me as good as he does.....and he accepts me kids....who are only 1 and 4yrs old...(their father since the divorce has done a disapearing act) he is soo good with them plays with them..and watches movies..with them...even plays barbies with my little girl! lol...he is always there for i am sick or upset he always seems to know hot to make me feel better....he is so calm and patient....and jsut the best guy i have ever met.....i am soo in love with him....but i have heard that if we do get married he could get deported to go thru the citizenship process..that could take years! i dont want to lose him...also he says he never wants to go back there because it is a bad place...because he said the government there is corupt...and too many bad things go on.

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:12 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

  • The same way anyone would become a citizen, there's a test he has to take and some classes.

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:13 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

  • 2 of My cousins were illegal and they married thier wifes and now are legal.

    It's actually sort of easy. You get married, then apply for citizenship, it's like $750.

    Then they call you both in to meet you and they ask you a million and one questions they can usually tell why you got married, like was it for love or for bs. You show them your wedding album, they ask you on what side of the bed you each sleep, you showers first, which bills get paind first, etc... They are just checking that you guys actually are in a true relationship and not running a scam. Good luck and like I said it really isn't hard...

    Answer by Happ-eToBme at 2:17 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

  • marrying an illegal does not make them legal. i think it used too but now days he still has to apply for citizenship. so either way marrying him alone won't do that. not anymore, i'm sure of it. my mother was a paralegal and this work and that is what she told me. he should just apply for his papers asap cause it takes time.

    Answer by melody77 at 2:20 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

  • Make sure you talk to an immigration attorney and they will know exactly what to do. They are not allowed to inform immigration where he is so there shouldn't be a risk of deportation just by talking to them. IMPORTANT: Make sure the attorney isn't a fake there are so many fake ones that only take your money and never send in your papers.

    Answer by DianaT. at 3:07 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

  • idk,,, rent "green card" that movie is about that... sorta,,,, it is the basis of all that i know about it so that is my best suggestion, sorry!

    Answer by AmaliaD at 3:10 PM on Jan. 20, 2009