Should I ask for an induction?

I'm due on the 30th and am so ready for this baby to come out I'm not even dilated 1 cm. I'm worried I'm gonna go past my due date, when is a good time to bring up the possibility of induction or should I wait for the doctor to bring it up? I live a good hour away from my docs office and am tired of the weekly drive it's uncomfortable plus I have 2 other children I have to find care for when I go.

persuasion91297

Asked by persuasion91297 at 2:10 PM on Jan. 20, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I wouldn't do an induction at all, personally.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 2:14 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• You should not get one before your due date unless something is wrong. If you feel like something is wrong, talk to your dr right away. Otherwise, my dr wanted to induse one week after my due date. They used to wait 2 weeks. It doesn't hurt to ask your dr what is customary for her/him so you know what is coming.
    AJmamma

Answer by AJmamma at 2:17 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• It doesn't hurt to ask ur dr the only thing he or she can tell you is yes or no. And being induced is not as bad as everyone makes it out to be ive been induced with my last two babies and everything turned out just fine. GL
    Anonymous

• I was induced with my first son and everything went good. they induced me 1 day after my due date but that was a different doctor. So I'm not scared of being induced. and I dont' want to wait to long because I don't want her to be born on my sons b-day which is feb 6th, plus I have a party to plan.
    persuasion91297

Answer by persuasion91297 at 2:26 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• at eight days overdue i went into labor and after 24 hours of really light labor i was still only at a two so i was induced. my dr told me that the longer you wait past your due date the lass nurients will go through the placenta and i really think my son wasnt gonna come out any other way haha. i would wait till the due date though, cuz remember the due date is plus or minus a week. hang in there! =)
    disheveled

Answer by disheveled at 2:31 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• You could ask now, but he/she probably wont do it until at least your due date. I've been begging for a couple weeks and I'm now overdue. He is going to induce me on Saturday though, and I will be a week over at that point.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 2:43 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• You should only induce when the risks of induction outweigh the risks of staying pregnant. Convience inductions should never, ever be done and it sickens me that "doctors" actually do them. They took an oath to do no harm. Some oath.
    squish

Answer by squish at 3:02 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• I agree with squish.
    You have been pregnant this long, what is going another day or even another week for the health of your baby? Babies develop at different rates, which is why each one is born at a different point, not always at 40 weeks, kwim?
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 3:13 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• as soon as you go over your due date you would want to bring that up to your dr and discuss induction
    henderson20

Answer by henderson20 at 8:29 PM on Jan. 21, 2009