is it bad for my 19 month old to still be on a bottle?

hes capable of using a cup, and is eating select foods rather well. It just seems he drinks alot easier and therefor more fluids with a bottle. Is there anything too wrong with keeping it in his routine?
thanks :)

xooojadeooox

Asked by xooojadeooox at 2:36 PM on Jan. 20, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Yes, dentists say to steer away b/c it causes damage to the teeth. I would say he's old enough for a sippy cup.
    Anonymous

• yes for many reasons. Of course i believe they shouldnt be breastfed after a year to.
    Anonymous

• My nephew gets a bottle a day at bedtime and he is 22 months old. However, I don't really agree with it. Dentists do recommend against them after about a year though, because it can cause damage to his teeth.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 2:41 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• YES, this will damage his teeth. It is different when babies nurse after one year anon 2:39, breastmilk and water are the only two liquids that will not damage teeth and nursing will not mess with the teeth position or cause "bottle mouth". He will have messed up teeth. You should work with him on how to use a cup, not just give him a bottle cause it's "easy". You are damaging his teeth!
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 2:43 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• The longer he's on a bottle, the more of a security object it will become to him and you'll have a heck of a time breaking that habit. You should start giving him a cup right away and don't make a big deal of it. Just "quietly" make the switch and see how it goes. Best Wishes!
    BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 2:45 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• Not really. My little one hated drinking milk. The only way she drank any milk was when I gave plain warm milk in a bottle. She did use sippy cup for water, juice etc... So I kept it up until I was sure she was getting enough dairy through other means (yoghurt, cheese, butter etc) and I stopped her bottle right before she turned 2. She fussed for few days and I told her that her bottle was broken and that she was a big kid now and she could use a sippy cup instead. Now she drinks her milk (regular milk and pediasure) using a sippy cup (2yr 1 month now). I even let her choose which sippy cup she wanted.
    There is no rule on how to raise your child, you should do what works for you... but only concern is if you keep it up for too long, they might get too attached to it and not easily give it up when you want to get rid of the bottle.
    SweKrish

Answer by SweKrish at 2:46 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• I'd get rid of it if I were you. There really isn't a reason for him to have a bottle anymore. He may drink more liquid out of a bottle but he will soon adjust to a cup and when he is thirsty enough he will drink from it. You may also want to experiment with different sippies, some are easier than others. I have found that my son (15 months) loves to drink out of the ones with a straw...he thinks he's such a big boy. If you don't break him now the tantrum may be bigger as he gets older when you take it away : ( Good Luck
    deedee3849

Answer by deedee3849 at 2:49 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• If he can drink with a cup, why is he still on the bottle? Not being mean, just asking. If he can use a cup, there's no reason for the bottle at all.

He should be gaining more of his nutrition from food. What liquids is he filling up on? Milk, water, juice? Those don't have the nutritional value to give him all of what he needs. Is he still on formula? Breastmilk?

But then...we had ours on sippy cups at 6 months and on straw cups at a year...so take it for what it's worth...
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 3:57 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• If it's only water, it won't damage his teeth. So, offer him his milk and juice in sippy cups only. Give him boring old water in a bottle. He'll make the choice all on his own soon enough. And at 19 months, he can eat just about anything you eat so less milk will mean more hunger and more chances for him to eat food.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:58 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• yes for many reasons
    henderson20

Answer by henderson20 at 7:57 PM on Jan. 21, 2009