Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

muslim religion

Why dont muslims eat pork? i know its a religious thing just dont know why?

 
Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:03 PM on Jan. 20, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

This question is closed.
Answers (11)
  • Muslims do not eat pork because a pig cannot be slaughtered at the neck due to its anatomy and to slaughter any animal Muslims makes an incision through the jugular veins, causing the death of the animal by a total loss of blood from the body, rather than an injury to any vital organ as Islam has prohibited blood of any type.
    isra1986

    Answer by isra1986 at 5:05 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

  • From what I understand....correct me if i'm wrong guys!!!...is that they still live by the OLD covenant. Otherwise known as Noah's conenant. Not the new one that Jesus Christ brought forth.......
    mominbolt

    Answer by mominbolt at 3:06 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

  • so what is the old covenant say? i think it say not to eat meat with a split hoof. don't cows have a split hoof?
    melody77

    Answer by melody77 at 3:56 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

  • Pigs also cause many health problems for people. chemical analysis of pigs blood shows that it contains an abundance of uric acid, a chemical substance which can be injurious to human health. Also, there are many harmful effects of the consumption of pork, in any form, be it pork chops, ham, bacon. Medical science finds that there is a risk for various diseases as the pig is found to be a host for many parasites and potential diseases as the pig's biochemistry excretes only 2% of its total uric acid content, the remaining 98% remains as an integral part of the body. I imagine that in antiquity it would have been noticed that those who frequently ate this meat were subject to various diseases and maladies.
    isra1986

    Answer by isra1986 at 5:05 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

  • Muslims makes an incision through the jugular veins, causing the death of the animal by a total loss of blood from the body, rather than an injury to any vital organ as Islam has prohibited blood of any type...

    Does this mean you may also not take another persons blood into your body? "Islam has prohibited blood of any type." Or is this only animal blood.
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:31 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

  • No, we only cannot eat blood from Animals
    isra1986

    Answer by isra1986 at 5:41 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

  • It's the same for Christians. The Old Testament forbids us from injesting the blood of any animal. And to answer your question, melody... yes, cows have a split hoof, but they chew a cud (as do goats and sheep). The old law forbid eating the flesh of any animal with a split hoof that did not chew a cud.
    But, as far as Christians not keeping that law anymore...it's because Jesus said " What goes into a man's mouth does not make him 'unclean', but what comes out of his mouth, that is what makes him 'unclean'".
    brandyj

    Answer by brandyj at 6:16 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

  • Keep in mind that the dietary restrictions are more than just pork, though pork is the most commonly known one. We are not allowed to eat scavengers either (magpies, canines, crows, etc) or animals that eat with their hands (monkeys, cats, etc.). That might be simplification or generalization, and I am sure another more knowledgeable sister can give you the exact info. We don't live by the OLD covenant or the new one - we live by the Qu'ran and Sunnah. There is a lot of overlap, but not exactly the same.

    b_cheerful

    Answer by b_cheerful at 9:18 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

  • I agree with Brandy.
    alexsmomma06

    Answer by alexsmomma06 at 9:25 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

  • As a christian i also do not take blood of another animal into my body. The meat must be well drained of all the blood possible. My husband from Brazil he says they fry blood and eat it but now that we are studying but not yet baptized in the Christian religion he will not be eating that. So now when we visit brazil we dont eat it along with the others.
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:58 PM on Jan. 20, 2009