Veterinary Assistant On line diploma. Is it worth it?

Veterinary Assistant online diploma. Is it worth it?
Vet Assistants don't require any certification by the AVMA as Vet Techs do. I do want to work as a vet assistant, but am wondering if spending the $800 on the on line vet assist. course offered through Penn Foster will get me a better job, given the fact that I have no experience yet or should I assume I will get the education on the job? Does anyone know about this program or any other? Would it better my chances of breaking into veterinary? Any advice on starting out in the vet field? I only aspire to work as an assistant, not necessarily a tech. I just want to work with animals because I love them so.

Smilinski

Asked by Smilinski at 3:03 PM on Jan. 20, 2009 in Pets

• Don't do Penn Foster. I heard they were fake. Do University of Phoenix and there are a lot of fakes so be careful! I know university og phoenix is real though.
    Anonymous

• im in highschool, but we have a tech. center where we can take classes like that. ive taken vet assist. 1 and im in my 2nd year of it now and love it. if you want to become a tech later on courses like that help out alot at getting into other vet programs. good luck
    mandei1509

Answer by mandei1509 at 3:07 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• Call all the Vet clinics in the area & speak to someone in charge of hiring & ask them, would they consider hiring someone that has an online diploma? There are alot of cheap outfits out there to rip you off, even some of the trade schools will take government grant $ & then unless you are a A student to make them look good they will find a legal way to kick you out of the school. Volunteer any where there are animals because they are going to want HANDS ON experience number#1 Alot of the colleges offer affordable vet tech programs now.smile mini

dansuehath

Answer by dansuehath at 7:27 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• you don't need any degree for vet asst...(like you said) therefore it's unnessecary. I was a vet asst. for a couple years, i just applied at a few vets. my only pet experience at the time was a year managing a pet store, and i cleaned the surgery room at the SPCA. Also, getting a job as a vet asst is excellent way to go to school for a tech position cause often vets will help you with tuition. so, no don't waste your money. just apply for as many vets as you can!
    yomamaporter

Answer by yomamaporter at 6:42 PM on Jan. 21, 2009