Religion. Knowing what you are.

I was raised pentecostle. I love God with all of my being, but I dont like religion, and I dont feel like i fit any particular one. None of them specifically fit my beliefs, anyone else feel that way?

and does anyone else feel like there have been things you saw or was taught as a child that totally screwed you up, or totally made you who you were?

a quote that I love, but i dont know who said it so if you do, let me know..

Religion-for those that are afraid of going to hell
Spirituality- for those that have already been there.

HollieSpirit

Asked by HollieSpirit at 3:18 PM on Jan. 20, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• i know what i am and it has a great part to do with my religion. i think that every person needs to find there place or find who they are based on the values or moral standards that they believe in be it you learned it from church your parents or from just living life. sometimes people don't fit in just one religion or they just haven't found the right one. i know of a saying that works well with this question, kinda. " what we are is gods gift to us, what we become is our gift to god" so you can be anything you want cause the lord gave you that. he will love you for your true being and your heart.not based on religion.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 3:31 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• I think alot of times religion is made out to be the way to heaven and people forget about the personal relationship you can have with Jesus Christ. I grew up in a Baptist Church and growing up I always though that we (baptist) were the only ones going to Heaven and thought that you had to obey all these rules in order to be a good christian and if you didn't do this or that then you weren't as good as the person sitting next to you.

luvnmy3kid

Answer by luvnmy3kid at 4:03 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• Something i live by....Its not a religion, its a relationship.
    There are so many ways the devil tries to draw us away from God. Faith, and how i practice my faith isnt one of them for me.
    aMbeR012005

Answer by aMbeR012005 at 4:21 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• well I went through a lot in my life, and religion never helped me get through any of it... if anything it made things worse for me. Spirituality in a sense is a good thing... but for me it's not a relationship with a god... it finding peace in my self, that got me through everything...
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 5:38 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• More false teachers enter the world every day. However, if you have searched, and cannot find one place where you feel that they agree with you, then maybe you should re-evaluate. For example: Are you searching for a church where 100% of the congregation agrees with you 100% of the time? That won't happen. Are you having trouble agreeing with other believers on even basic Christian principles? Then stop, and pray for God to properly align your compass with Him..then ask Him to show you where to go. God answered a very similar prayer from me.
    brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 6:02 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• I dont fit into just one category and I enjoy that, its helped me grow spiritually a lot more than my religious upbringing did.

I like the quote you used very much.

I think growing up as I did my mind wasnt as open. You think you are open but once you leave that box you see that you really never were.
    The church of my youth did teach me to value my family so that was something I always appreciated and always will.
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 8:57 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• I was raised in differnt types of churches-methodist, baptist, penticostal and presbyterian. My mother was trying to find a church that she 'completely' agreed with and it never happened. Ever demonination has certain things or practices they believe in. Whats more important is your personal relationship with God. Read the bible for yourself and come to your own conclusions about what God is saying. Too many religions try to put there own "spin" on scriptures
    alexsmomma06

Answer by alexsmomma06 at 9:21 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• Religion is man’s attempt to reach God
    Christianity is God’s attempt to reach man

I was raised methodist, now i am a christian and go to a non denomational church.
    HisServant4ever

Answer by HisServant4ever at 9:44 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• brandyi has a great point - are you looking for something that's comfortable and agrees with you, or are you looking for something that can make you a better person - a better Christian - a better child of God? aMbeR012005 has it right to in saying that it's a relationship - God is calling us to relationship with him, and he has expectations in that relationship, just as we have expectations in our relationships with SOs, children, etc...We expect our children to listen to us, not to just do what they want. God has the same expectation of His children - the question is, are you willing to listen to what He says and not just what you want to hear? Don't just rely on reading the bible, listen to the Wisdom of God through those who have walked before and beside us.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 10:10 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• I know what you are talking about-I was raised a Muslim, going to Mosque literally everyday after school for 2 hours, learning all the Prophets, wearing certain clothes following rules that did not make sense to ME, I can go on and on, but as I reached my 20's following the Muslim religion just didnt speak to ME anymore...I dont believe in organized religion and I am glad I made that decision for myself. I feel that I can have my love and relationship with God and worshi[ him my way and its a personal way and I love that..I dont feel that I need to approach God in a special way, I just come as I am and I know that God loves me regardless.
    MaiasMommy619

Answer by MaiasMommy619 at 10:12 PM on Jan. 20, 2009