Hot tubs during pregnancy!??

Im 36 weeks pregnant, already dialating, and lost my mucus plug. I really want to just relax in my hot tub. If i set it at 98 degrees, is it ok for me to sit in it for a little while? will it make me go into labor? more importantly will it hurt my baby?

momma_bear11

Asked by momma_bear11 at 3:21 PM on Jan. 20, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I am not sure about having lost your plug... I know that several women on here say that you should never get in a tub. But I think... what about water births? Set at 98 degrees is good... just like a bathtub... so the temp won't hurt your baby. As for starting your labor... I was told that if I had contractions early to take a warm bath to see if it made them stop. Warm water will calm down the muscles and stop or slow labor, not start labor.
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 3:27 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• they say to stay out of hot tubs all together while pregnant. Id call your dr and ask him hes really the only one who can answer your question.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 3:30 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• as long as the bath is really clean, and if it is your home shouldnt have other people germs and they say as long as it is under 100 it is fine but the risk that you run is BRAIN DAMAGE to the baby so i would say set it to 93 degrees just in case the thermometer is a lil off and yo dont wanna cook the brain!!! i take hot baths all the time, i know the temp is way below 100 and it really helps back pain!
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 3:32 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• I take warm/hot baths every other day. I'm 33 weeks. I feel like I would be uncomfortable if it were really bad for my baby, plus at this point, she's already fully formed, it's like, how much damage can I really do. My belly doesn't even go in the water anyway!
    Anonymous

• A hot tub is ok.. but with the plug gone you could get an infection. The thing with hot tubs is they can be breeding grounds for bacteria... if you know it's been cleaned, then go ahead.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 3:53 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• I always soaked in a very warm tub. It is very comforting, just make sure its not too hot. Temperatures too high can hurt the baby!
    trendy4you

Answer by trendy4you at 4:22 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• How come everyone says hot baths are bad for babies but I've never heard of anyone who was disabled or had a problem with their baby due to soaking in a hot bath? I'm starting to think this warning is bs.
    Anonymous

• it wont hurt your baby but once you have lost your plug or went in to labor or broke your water you shouldnt get in the hot tub due to getting infections
    henderson20

Answer by henderson20 at 7:22 PM on Jan. 21, 2009