What reading level is your kindergartener reading on?

My DD started out at the beginning of the school year on an "A" level. She is now on a "C" level which is what she needs to be on for 1st grade. But my daughter talks about a couple other kids in her class being on D,E and F level. I wish I had more time with my daughter but I had a baby the day after she started school and my afternoons and evenings are busy with the baby and fixing supper and bath and bedtime for them both. And on the weekends, I hate to push learning and more "homework" on her. As she has homework every night. Anything I can do to help her reading skills? She has tons of books to help her read.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:13 AM on Mar. 4, 2012 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Since she is on grade level, I wouldn't worry too much about pushing her for higher levels. Instead I would work on instilling a love of reading. Take her to the library so she can choose books that she likes. Read to her at night when you can.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:20 AM on Mar. 4, 2012

• I would make reading fun. My 3 1/2 yo loves to read. She is at Kindergarten level now and I am scared to think of where she will be when she is in kindergarten. Please don't think I am bragging. I am scared. She is a bright child who has done this on her own. I would just sit and read with her or have her read to you. There are so many things you can do to make it fun. Also make sure you are asking questions about what you and she are reading so that you know that she has the comprehension skills to go with it. I can tell you that by the time I entered Kindergarten I was at a 2nd grade reading level and having to be shipped to other classrooms for reading time and it was scarey to be with the older kids. Just keep working with her.
    coala

Answer by coala at 11:41 AM on Mar. 4, 2012

• Mine is one of the ones at Dc but she started reading before kindergarten and it had been super ray for her. Don't stress, just make sure she had books to read that she will enjoy. We read together once a day and she always has a book in her hand. My first grader is the same way. We do techniques together. Simple sounding, taping words out, comprehension and things like that. I think reading about helping your little is beneficial.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 11:44 AM on Mar. 4, 2012

• Not a thing at all in Kindergarten.
    We started introducing the alphabet in first grade but not really *reading* that year. Some students were able to pick up a few words-- but most aren't reading until 2nd grade or later. My kids were no par with that.

Sounds like kids are struggling and comparing, hopefully not competing.
    :-(

How do you feel about how she is, not comparing?

doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:08 PM on Mar. 4, 2012

• As long as you are finding at least 10 minutes each day to spend with her listening to her read she should be fine.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 2:54 PM on Mar. 4, 2012

• My spouse and I both worked 40+ hours a week, and our daughter was reading on third grade level, in kindergarten; it is not the quantity of time, it is the quality of time, and the reading readiness

Answer by rkoloms at 9:57 PM on Mar. 4, 2012

• my son is reading at grade level the teacher said he is about ready to advance to the next level of reading; we read every night at least 20 minutes and I have him read some of the books to me we help him sound things out but as long as you are reading with your children and they are interacting with you that is all that counts. As long as her teacher isn't concerned and she is on grade level I wouldn't be too concerned have her sit down and read a book to the baby while you are either feeding him or if you are fixing dinner that is the best quality and bonding time for siblings. My oldest loved and still loves reading with my youngest. Good luck and God Bless
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 7:09 AM on Mar. 5, 2012

• Having her read out loud to you is really beneficial. She can sit at the table while you're cooking supper and just read away :)
    BrawnwynII

Answer by BrawnwynII at 10:40 AM on Mar. 5, 2012

• My kids are right on with the sight words that have been introduced at that level. They are not expect to read in Kindergarten here!!! My DD started really reading in the spring of first grade... just as expected by her teacher.

As long as you can spend 10 minutes a day on reading skills you are fine... I assume that's what her homework should be. At that age 10-15 minutes should be tops for homework!! We only get homework occasionally for my DS who is 5 in Kindergarten. When DD was in two years ago we never had homework. Sounds like they are pushing them to fast, before they are ready to me.
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 10:48 AM on Mar. 5, 2012