Can you tell me the difference?

what were your baby's syptoms of lactose intolerance and symptoms if your baby had a milk allergy? What did you do to help it.
I'm asking for my 5 month old.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:23 PM on Jan. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My daughter struggled with a milk allergy and the difference is in the response of their system. A true allergy will cause the antibodies to activate and they will wheeze, vomit, skin rash, etc, (they don't have to have all of the symptoms at once) like an allergic reaction to anything else. With lactose intolerance there can be vomiting, but I believe it is usually gas, and either constipation or diarrhea. Good luck, btw some children that are allergic to milk are also allergic to soy milk, the protein in it is similar. We had to go with rice milk and almond milk.
    Anonymous

• well we found out my son was lactose and tolerant at 6 months, he was constipated all the time, we thought it was a gas problem and so we took him to his doc, and she said it was the milk he was drinking so she told us to switch his milk to soy..
    mblucky

Answer by mblucky at 3:33 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• Your pediatrician will be the one to help you on this. Even if you think you recognize symptoms you shouldn't change formulas without consulting the doctor first.
    Butterflysky_24

Answer by Butterflysky_24 at 4:02 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• ask your ped. allergies usually have a rash, dry skin or cold symptoms. lactose intolerance usually causes gas or tummy problems. either way you would have to change formula, which you should consult your ped for anyway.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 4:04 PM on Jan. 20, 2009