Does any one have pointers to help control ADHD kids?

I have a 9 and 8 year old with ADHD, their dad is currently deployed and at first everything was working out ok, well now that he has been gone for a lil while EVERYTHING is outta hand.

GaArmyGal

Asked by GaArmyGal at 3:43 PM on Jan. 20, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• Hmmm...that can be a hard one for sure, but, let your kids know who's boss when their Dad is away!! I have a 12 yr old who is ADHD since the age of 2. What i did was get my son involved in SeaCadets....and he loves going weekly!! Just as a suggestion. Get them involved in swimming lessons maybe?? Good Luck to you!!
    Queencastle

Answer by Queencastle at 8:20 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• I have a step son with ADHD. He is much easier to deal with when he gets enough rest, lots of exercise and holds to routines. Structure during their day, making lists, and just explain to them that you are trying your best to do what is best for them, and their dad still loves them and counts on them and you to still be a family while he is gone. Also let them know what behavior you expect from them, and what you will not accept. God Bless you and your family.
    Beans6

Answer by Beans6 at 12:05 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• The only thing that worked with my son was we cut sugar out of his diet, once we did that he was a completely different kid.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 9:39 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• I'm from the old school when there was no such thing as a ADHD. I'm sorry but I just don't believe in this type of stuff. I believe nowadays children need love and DISCIPLINE. I have a relative whose child was diagnosed with the samething. I find it hard to believe that when this child is with me she is just as normal as can be. She is with me most of the time. All the things this child does at home when I'm on the phone with her mother is the total opposite with me. Even when I'm with her and her mother she is normal as can be.
    Anonymous

• She is told before she walks in my door she will sit her ass down and respect the things in my house just as my kids do. When you are outside you are to respect the items there as well. You stay in the back yard and no further. When I call you to come and eat you come immediately not when you want to come. Needless to say the 3-4 days she is at my house I DO NOT give her the meds the Dr's prescribed for her. She just knows who she can run over and who she can't. Thats the problem with most of these kids and the parents who make excuses for them. I don't play with kids. Mines or anyone else's who walks into my home. I'm sorry but I just don't believe in no ADHD. My neice is the same way. She is with her mother and becomes a different person. When she is with me she is the perfect little girl. I don't get it but yet the Dr's say she has ADHD. No the hell she don't and I refuse to give her any meds.
    Anonymous

• Well I have a son with adhd. And he is somethign else. I would just stay firm . They will push your buttons. I would get them in counseling . Are they on meds ???
    Ann7227

Answer by Ann7227 at 2:35 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• my only suggestion would be counseling...behovior therapy is very effective with these type of cases and might allow you to discontinue meds...not a huge fan of medicating kids, they ususally look doped up at school...my daughter has high functioning autism/aspergers and she takes no meds, has learned to control herself for school and home life and honestly she could be so much worse in behavior if I let her get away with it.....I don't
    put your foot down!
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 10:43 PM on Feb. 2, 2009