Seder Meal Question

OK, Jewish Mothers,
What is it?
What is served?
Where can I find recipes?
And is it OK for a Pagan like me to serve one to her Agnostic husband and stepson...in honor of my Jewish brothers and sisters?

MamaK88

Asked by MamaK88 at 3:50 PM on Jan. 20, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I am also Jewish MamaK88 and I believe wanting to not only learn, but participate in a Jewish holiday is wonderful. I believe as we've been taught to be "the beacon of light for other nations" as far as how to behave and treat others that NOT sharing this with someone else would go against Judaism. Here's a link that may be helpful. http://www.jewfaq.org/kfpfood.htm Good for you for exploring other cultures and I hope everyone can learn that sharing rather than excluding is what we need as a planet to obtain true happiness.

Spyse

Answer by Spyse at 4:45 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• Sedar is the Passover Meal.

And NO, it is not okay for pagans to profane this observance.

If you are not a believer in the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, then you are profaning His observances. I personally would not feel {honored}.

And YES, I am Jewish ...

snowgirl79

Answer by snowgirl79 at 4:22 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• snowgirl,

How exactly is it profaning?

MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 4:29 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• Ok, I'm also Jewish and I don't really care what you do in your home. lol I had a lady once - nice lady I worked with who was about as Baptist as they get - ask me what type of bread one serves at a Passover Sedar. Well...I explained and she ended with, "Well, I'll just make dinner rolls."
    lol
    Ok, not gonna argue with her cuz it DOESN'T take anything away from my observance of my religion...but I digress.
    How about asking a Jew you know if they know of a sedar you can go to? Trust me, it's way EAAAAAAASIER than doing all that cooking! lol

Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 4:34 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• The thing is I love to cook...and I love to try new things.

Last night I tried my hand at "Soul Food" for MLK Day and Obama's inauguration.  (And we're White.) 

And I do aknowledge the god of Abraham...I believe all gods are ONE GOD, all goddesses, ONE GODDESS.

MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 4:45 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• Imagine that Castro were to recite "We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with ..." - it would be a travesty, because Castro so obviously opposed those words. ... In the Passover Seder, the Hebrew heritage of having been enslaved in Egypt is invoked. People who do NOT identify with this, whose forefathers were NOT slaves in old Egypt really have no business mouthing those phrases, nor serving those dishes which have been especially-tailored to portray things like the mortar used by the Hebrew slaves, or the lamb God warned the Hebrews to have on Passover night. If you cannot tell the story with conviction (which kind of includes belief that God did this), then you trivialize it, turn it into an object of curiousity and scrutiny ... in other words, you treat it as UN-sacred : as profane. (I'm Christian, but observe Passover yearly with Jewish family)
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 4:51 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• Wait I am confused is what some are saying is we should not attend Jewish celebrations? I celebrate with my Jewish friend all the time.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 5:29 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• Ok, so then to answer your original question, the link Spyse (who, btw, is awesome) posted is great for the overview. The point to the sedar is to retell the story of the Exodus from Egypt. You're going to want to find a Hagaddah (means "the story") which is the little booklet (often put out by Maneschevitz! lol) and frankly, I'd read through it with a Jewish friend first, so that you understand it all. Sedar means "order" and that's what the Passover meal is - an orderly progression through the story of the Exodus using food to help tell the story (for lack of a better way to put it). There's symbolic eggs and symbolic cucumber and symbolic salt water for dipping said symbolic egg and symbolic cucumber (or hey - parsley - whatever) and symbolic brick morter maid from nuts, apples, honey and wine and symbolic lamb shanks which uh...symbolize lambs.

And I haven't gotten to the rest of the food! lol Next post...
    Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 5:32 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• http://allrecipes.com/HowTo/Seder-Menus/Detail.aspx
    here is a list of recipes.. hope it helps.. I think what you are doing is great, and I do not think it is disrespectful at all to honor people like that. I think that makes you very open minded and a very good person... I wish there were more people like you that could honor someone like that.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 5:36 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• For the dinner, there's tradition, but...frankly, every family's different. As long as your meal conforms to the dietary restrictions of the holiday, then it's a Passover meal. One year I did lamb in orange sauce, another I did Cornish hens stuffed with dried fruit. Mom does a dried out brisket or a dried out chicken on matzah farfel. Needless to say, my brothers vote for my house most years. :) Ok, my mom makes: gefilte fish on a lettuce leaf followed by matzah ball soup (chicken soup with matzah balls) with no salt, followed by dried out chicken on funky tasking matzah farfel with some overcooked veggie products and ends with baked loaves of sugar-sweetened spackle. Er...I mean, she makes Mandelbrot as a dessert.

So there's tradition for you. I'm happy to share it. :)
    Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 5:36 PM on Jan. 20, 2009