Children seeing other children breastfeed.

Are you concerned about your child (any age) seeing a baby (or toddler) breastfeed, whether it be in person, or a picture?
If so, why? And is there an age when you feel it's okay for them to be exposed to it?

Liyoness

Asked by Liyoness at 4:08 PM on Jan. 20, 2009 in General Parenting

• No. I mean the baby (or toddler) has to eat right? I dont think there is anything wrong with breastfeeding in public. I mean I wouldnt let my child stop and stare or anything but if he asked I'd just tell him the baby was eating and answer any other questions he might have...no big deal.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 4:10 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• Nope.. I dont think they should see it, im not for it... I dont think it is wrong or anything, it just grossz me out..
    HottMamaRossx2

Answer by HottMamaRossx2 at 4:11 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• I think its something children should be exposed to. Its natural, and the best choice that can be made for a baby. Its not a shameful thing to keep hidden.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 4:11 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• I think breastfeeding is normal and I think all children should be able to view it. My kids have no problem with it at all.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 4:13 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• I will cover up when I BF my baby, I'm not going to just have my breast out for my older kids to see. Natural or not that's MY opinion.

Anonymous

• No, and I think its silly for anyone to say such a thing. If society stopped sexualizing the breast this wouldn't be an issue!

Personally, I get disgusted when all I see in books and on TV is BOTTLES...everywhere!
    Emmoney

Answer by Emmoney at 4:14 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• I don't care who is around me when I breastfeed, and on several occasions have breastfed in front of my non-breastfeeding moms children. I have heard them ask,"Mommy, what is she doing?" To which the moms reply, "She is feeding the baby milk from her boobie." I think everyone should see a mother feeding a baby, because if it was more public then people wouldn't be so scared or ashamed of it. If children grew up seeing mothers breastfeeding then they will be more likely to breastfeed their own children.
    zweedledee

Answer by zweedledee at 4:15 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• I will only BF my son in front of my DH and my DD who is almost 4, I'm quite modest! But have nothing at all against those that BF in public. I think its important that my DD sees and its no big deal, for she will perhaps be a mom someday too. BFing isn't sexual in the slightest, I feel most children would benefit from being exposed to it. How else will we stop the taboo and the silliness of people being "grossed out" by it?
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 4:24 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• Nope. Quite the opposite. I think it's good for children to grow up seeing women nurse.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:55 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• Nope. My dd was nursed until she was 21 months old. I nursed her everywhere and never covered and wouldn't care if she saw someone else nurse. IN fact she has seen other babies nurse. My children will grow up knowing that breasts are meant to feed babies, and while other people view them as sexual that is NOT what they were intended for.

Mind you my boobs weren't hanging out, but depending on the day something could have slipped out lol. :)
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 4:57 PM on Jan. 20, 2009