Do you think babies can actually talk at 6 months?

I've been hearing a lot of mommies saying they're little ones are saying their first words at 6 months. My son makes a lot of sounds that sound like Mama and Dada and Nana along with a bunch of other sounds that arent associated with baby words. So do you think babies can actually say these words and know to associate them with faces or objects this early or do you think they are just baby sounds that will someday be associated with people or objects? I hope that made sense.

Elijahsmommy9

Asked by Elijahsmommy9 at 4:23 PM on Jan. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• no they're just babbling, but they CAN do sign language!
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 4:24 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• I think it is mostly wishful thinking of the parents. A 6 month old can say those things, but it is just babble they are not actually calling for mama or dada.
    Duckieglc

Answer by Duckieglc at 4:25 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• I disagree with the previous posters. At 6 mths old my daughter would say Mama & it was directed at me. Her Dr. was even amazed. Is it early for a child to speak, yes, but it is possible.

She also did the babbling "mama, dada, bblaa pppphhhtttt" but she would directly say Mama and hold her arms up for me. Never once did she "mama" and hold her arms up for some one else. It was always directed at me.
    Anonymous

• I think some will be able to talk, it just depends on their development. My son is 6 months but he just likes to spit and growl and he just recently started making "dadadada" babbling sounds.
    jenn714

Answer by jenn714 at 4:44 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• my son says mama and dada. and every time daddy leaves for work he looks at the door and says dada for a good 5 or 6 minutes. i'm pretty sure he knows what he's saying. :)
    kadielynn83

Answer by kadielynn83 at 8:00 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• Of course they can. If they can sign for things they want why would u think they couldn't speak? My daughter could sign milk as she said boob at 6 months. I don't think she was anything amazing. I have seen it over and over!
    trainsNdolls

Answer by trainsNdolls at 8:24 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• My daughter has said mama and dada since 5 months but I am pretty sure she is just now getting that I am mama...
    LovinMyMikayla

Answer by LovinMyMikayla at 8:41 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• yes some 6 months old babys can say mama or dada my daughter did say it directly to me and hold her hands up to me
    henderson20

Answer by henderson20 at 6:17 PM on Jan. 21, 2009