My baby is a little over 3 months now, considering that babies can turn over onto the stomach at around 4 months, as we practice tummy time he gets fussy. As i have put him down in his bed (on the tummy) he was just crying and did not make attempt to change a position.My concern is as follows: has anyone had a similar sitiation?what did you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:29 PM on Jan. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• not all babies enjoy being on their bellys and not all babies will learn to roll over by 4 months. all you can do is continue to give him alittle bit of tummy time every day but when he starts to get mad about it then turn him over on to his back.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 4:34 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• my son did the same thing, but when my mom was with him she made a game of it. Turning him from his somach to back and back and forth. She was very enthusiastic and said "YAY" every time she would turn him over. Shorthly after that he was rolling over by himself.
    jenn714

Answer by jenn714 at 4:35 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• I can't say I had a similar situation because my baby is only 1 month old. But you might be making something out of nothing. It sounds to me like your baby still have time to grow and learn things at his own pace. I would wait and see what happens before getting worried.
    Anonymous

• Rolling over usually starts between 4 and 6 months. So if you are concerned that he isn't rolling over yet, don't be. As Mommy2B says, just give him a little bit of tummy time at a time. Try laying on the floor in front of him so he can see you. Dangle and play with a toy that he can see and reach too. And if you are concerned about developmental stages, check out BabyCenter's charts:
    http://www.babycenter.com/0_milestone-chart-1-to-6-months_1496585.bc

As you'll see if you look at the chart, a few super physical kids are starting to roll over at 3 months, about half can roll over one direction or the other at 4 or 5 months, most can roll over at 6 months.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:38 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• lol. My baby's huge. Serious. 99th percentile huge. He only turned to his stomach from his back last week (yay!!!). He was just too heavy to turn himself over, according to the doctor (who was absolutely unconcerned, btw).

And he sleeps on his tummy and never minded tummy time at all.

So, there ya go. No need to worry. Every baby's different. :)
    Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 4:41 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• My son is WAY more into standing and jumping than being on his belly. My ped. told me at his 4 month check up that some of the bigger babies find it less comfertable on their bellies?? But he loves belly time if he is ON MY BELLY!! lol His neck is really strong... i think he is just impatitient and finds more to do standing up. Ha ha... I wouldnt be worried about it yet.... sometimes they just develop faster in other areas.... I fear mine will run before he turns over! ha ha
    KAYDENSMOMMlE

Answer by KAYDENSMOMMlE at 4:45 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• hahaha... 4 months rolling? good luck. I really wouldn't worry at all. Keep working on tummy time but each baby is different. My dd was a chunky monkey and didn't roll until after 6 months.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 4:53 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• It takes a while for babies to figure it out.

My girl HATED tummy time. I'm lucky enough to have a bunch of therapists working with my twins because they were preemies. What we did was to start out with a few minutes at a time several times a day. We would increase the time day by day. It's more so that I could deal with it, not her, because she would scream every time. Eventually she started to get stronger and she enjoyed it more. Then she started rolling over.

One of the things that helped make tummy time easier was the boppy pillow. It gave her a little bit of lift so that she wasn't completely miserable. Once she started getting stronger, we put her directly on the floor.
    sammygrl77

Answer by sammygrl77 at 6:27 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• It all depends on the kid and rolling over is in no way a predictor for when they will hit milestones. Both my kids rolled fairly early. Son at 3mo2wks and daughter at 4 month exactly. He liked tummy time she screamed every day! Lol. He walked at almost 16 months. She was running at nine months. All kids are different. Don't stress it just keep doing it each day. Hang in there. A few tears won't kill them!
    trainsNdolls

Answer by trainsNdolls at 7:58 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• Most of the time, I would just let him cry for a few minutes and as soon as he realizes that I'm not gonna pick him up, he stops crying and will start playing. As far as learnng to roll over, my son recently started by getting restless and moving around until he finally just flipped over one day in bed! Like someone else said, make it a game. Make it fun for them by playing with them
    CassCass

Answer by CassCass at 2:25 PM on Jan. 21, 2009