Baby shower...

It's time for me to start making my baby shower list and I thought I had it all done but last night my husband said his mom probably has a list of people. I invited the family on his side that I know but is it normal to invite people on my husbands side that I have never met or barely know, even though he wont be there?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:34 PM on Jan. 20, 2009 in Pregnancy

• uhmmmmmmm thats EXACTLY what my MIL is doing. i made a WHOLE invite list of everyone on my side and his. i double checked with him over a month ago o make sure i didnt leave anyone out on his side. and he said nope thats everyone!

so here it is 4 days from MY SHOWER and his mother calls me yelling because we didnt invite some girl in his family ive met once and never even spoke to IN MY LIFE..... UGH drama... i think its FREAKING weird if you ask me but im doing it to avoid the drama and problems.
    Anonymous

• No its not weird its his family and he is having a baby to its not just you. NOw saying that it doesnt mean those people will actually come but they should atleast know about the shower and be invited.
    Anonymous

• i think a shower is abuot family of course too.. family involved. why invite some person that is not even involved with you or your SO?
    i think its ridiculous to invite people that you dont know even if they are family ... YET you never talk to them. its freaking weird. and rude.
    it makes it seem like you just want a gift. im not saying you do because i KNOW EXACTLY where you are coming from but this IS what it seems like.

i would still invite them though to avoid problems if they arise.

Anonymous

• I don't think they should all be invited. My first baby my MIL invited neighbors and people my husband grew up with, family members I had never met. I felt very ackward not knowing people at my shower. But then I guess you have to respect them too.....
    brandid

Answer by brandid at 4:44 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• everyone is excited and want to share the joy with you at your baby shower. I see no harm in inviting family members. There are just more people to celebrate and love your baby.

mommiedear

Answer by mommiedear at 4:55 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• i have the same problem... my sister asked me for a list, so i gave it to her.tMy mom and sister got together with my MIL she added 30 people to the list that was already 65 people... i was going to make my thank-you cards but now im not .. my sister said that she is invititing people she works with and who know else.. I already know i'm goin to feel ackward when it comes time for my shower..
    1sttymmom409

Answer by 1sttymmom409 at 5:12 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• I'm dreading my shower because I know b/w my family and his family, they are going to invite a lot of people, and yes, probably some of whom I barely know. But I'm having twins and to me, the more people who want to give us gifts the better! Call me greedy, but baby stuff can really add up, especially when there are 2!

Just try to relax and go with the flow. It's only 1 day and just imagine all of the items you'll get and the people who will be there to support you.
    L_Bass

Answer by L_Bass at 5:25 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• i kinda agree that you should just kinda let it go do avoid dramah..they are your hubby's family..but at the same time, i would talk it over with the husband and see just where he stands with these people. if He says to let them come even though he wont be there, then let it be. if he decides other wise, then you he and his mother should sit down and talk.
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 6:35 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• yes it is normal because their gonna be family to
    henderson20

Answer by henderson20 at 6:01 PM on Jan. 21, 2009