Anyone bi-polar?? Or know of it?

I am seeing a psychiatrist in a few days. I am pretty sure I am bipolar. What can they do for that? Its not severe...but it does have a big impact on my life and is getting worse, its even affecting my memory. Anyone have advice or anything for me?

briyeti

Asked by briyeti at 12:34 AM on Jul. 19, 2008 in Health

• Medications can usually control it. You can also find lots of support books and would probably benefit greatly from a support group.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:47 AM on Jul. 19, 2008

• my daughter was diagnosed with bipolar1 at age 15. your psych doc will find the right cocktail of medications that works for you. it may take some time so be patient and don't give up. they should start you on a mood stabalizer FIRST. if they attempt to start you out on an anti-depressant, ask questions and i would recommend seeing another doc. once on meds that are working for you - don't quit. you will get to feeling better and think you don't need them. you do. you'll just be feeling better because of the meds and once they leave your system - things will go haywire again. don't put yourself on that roller coaster of a ride throughout your life. there are several good books out there, but because my daughter is the one that lives with being bipolar - i read 'the bipolar child'. still... lots of good, up to date information available there.
    SannySoo

Answer by SannySoo at 2:28 AM on Jul. 19, 2008

• Thank you! Ill have to go to the library. Theres more to it than being bi-polar. My family has a hidtory of mental issues, my mother thinks i might be autistic because my brother (who is) and i show similar traits in behavior...yikes.
    briyeti

Answer by briyeti at 2:37 AM on Jul. 19, 2008

• you'll be fine no matter what life flings at you. your one step ahead because you yourself are seeking help to get things going in the right direction for yourself. try not to worry. get the psych eval done, find out what is what and do what you need to do. take care of you and everything will fall into place...
    SannySoo

Answer by SannySoo at 2:55 AM on Jul. 19, 2008

• Just be VERY carefull because "bi-polar" is the diagnosis of the month now days. 90% or more of people who are diagnosed are not bi-polar at all but have some other problem. It is jsut easier to say "You had a mood swing... you are bi-polar" then it is to dig deeper to find the REAL problem. I was told I was bi-polar as a teen and border line Schizophrenic. I was on medication out the butt. Then at 30 I am told that they just said what was easy for them and I really had severe OCD (mostly O) and have dealt much better with myself since then. Just be sure to get more then one opinion if they say you are Bi-polar.
    Maidenwolf

Answer by Maidenwolf at 10:25 AM on Jul. 19, 2008

• My family has a history of mental issues... I'd say talk to a few different doctors and get 2nd and 3rd and 4th opinions before you go getting all kinds of meds that could potentially make things worse.
    BonnaVore

Answer by BonnaVore at 12:58 PM on Jul. 19, 2008

• I am Bipolar, and it's really tough! Like previous posters have said, get lots of opinions....and FOLLOW YOUR GUT! I was diagnosed 3 years ago, and am still not "stable". It can be very difficult to find the right "cocktail". Also, make sure you get a COMPLETE evaluation, something that will thoroughly  cover all the basis. Good luck to you, take care :)
    msmikkle

Answer by msmikkle at 1:12 PM on Jul. 19, 2008

• like a pp said, be careful that bipolar is the right diagnosis, because it seems like it's the daily special of diagnoses lately. with that said, medication works great for some people and it has horrible side effects for others...i never had any luck with meds, so im unmedicated right now....really researching and understanding a diagnosis has helped me control it far better than pills and without the side effects...i have also found that significant changes in hormones like starting or stopping bc pills make me crazy...i also had to make a lot of lifestyle changes to keep me from being selfdestructive when i am manic...luckily i have found a man that grounds me...he keeps me in check when i am manic and he lifts me up when i am depressed...a good man or friend can do wonders
    LoriaAnn

Answer by LoriaAnn at 5:34 PM on Jul. 19, 2008

• I might be bipolar... I can't act rational... I lost my job a lot of my fellow employess who loved me covered for me for a few months its affecting my son's in home therapy. So when you start your journey keep us posted so I can see where I need to go once I start working again and can afford it. Good luck!
    Anonymous