what kind of dog should i get

my daughter and son want a dog in the worst way mind you they are only 3 and 2 and i have a cat what kind of dog should i get

chopperchic1012

Asked by chopperchic1012 at 12:34 AM on Jul. 19, 2008 in Pets

• go to a shelter with the kids and ask the people about the animals' histories. theyll tell you whether or not they are good with kids..ppl in pet shops have no idea anyway. I promote adoption. Anyway, with the kids there, they can pick out a dog and play with it and im sure youll find one somewhere that just fits right into your family.
    briyeti

Answer by briyeti at 12:38 AM on Jul. 19, 2008

• I agree. Go to the pound and ask about family friendly dogs. When you've found one you are interested in, spend some time with it and your kids - see how it acts around them.

Also, be aware that herding dogs can nip... it's how they herd sheep and cows. They will try to herd you, your kids, and any other pets. They can make good pets but some do have this problem.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:49 AM on Jul. 19, 2008

• I am partial to pomeranians. I have three of them. They are really great with kids. My male has issues, only becuase he is such a mama's boy. But my girls are amzing with my niece. She can pull their hair or grab their tails and they do nothing but lick her. And they are small, so they can't knock you down when they jump on you and when you walk a dog adn have to pick up their poo, it's much nicer to have to pick up something small, know what I mean? Lol.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 12:56 AM on Jul. 19, 2008

• they have a thing for big dogs but tey are so ruff the dogs but my kids are bullys were they get it i dont know but i need a dog that can hadle my kids i think they do it for attenchan they are very close in age so thats wat i think that is all about
    chopperchic1012

Answer by chopperchic1012 at 1:03 AM on Jul. 19, 2008

• I have a pitbull but they are a lot of work he is the best with my DD but for a first dog I wouldn't recommend a puppy at all. Dogs who are about 2 are old enough to have a stable personality. Puppies are cute and all but they can are LOTS of work and TIME. I agree with adopting a dog and at the humane society they are about the same as buying a puppy and you get the shots, micro-chip spayed usually all in the deal.
    ilovemybananer

Answer by ilovemybananer at 1:10 AM on Jul. 19, 2008

• NEO mastiff there the BEST
    Patience1

Answer by Patience1 at 3:32 AM on Jul. 19, 2008

• I have an American Bulldog (they look like a pit bull). They are big dogs, but wonderful with children. Make sure to ask about the tempermant of both parent dogs with children. I find the smaller breed of dogs do snip faster and are not good with children (that is my personal opinion)- of course any dog can bite, but really researching the breed by the internet and asking questions is always the best. Also raising a dog from puppy up the puppy will then be used to being around your children. Good Luck -Keep us posted!!
    Kellyjude1

Answer by Kellyjude1 at 7:36 AM on Jul. 19, 2008

• I have a Pit Bull and an American Bulldog and they both have a strong threshold for pain. My kids will accidentally run into them with their bikes or sit on them, or pull their ears....they don't care. They LOVE the attention!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 7:57 AM on Jul. 19, 2008

• a goldendoodle- they're extremely smart!- i have one- they're great with my kids!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:52 AM on Jul. 19, 2008

• I adopted a cocker spaniel and he has turned out to be the best dog I have ever owned. From personal expierence I have found out that useually the smaller the dog the more snappy they are with kids. Puppies are fine but takes alot longer to get them trained useually. I agree with a couple of the others, go to your local shelter and let the kids interact with a adult dog. You can go to petfinder.com and look up shelters closer to you and look to see if their are any that interest you before actually go their
    :) Hope this helps
    wtkgyoung

Answer by wtkgyoung at 11:19 AM on Jul. 20, 2008