Protective dog

My dog is very protective, a fact that I have been aware of. Here's the problem, though: We have certain people that are over regularly, and he is comfortable with those people and he doesn't bark or anything at them. Then, we have people that are rarely around, for example, the once a yr pest control man. He will go after the people he doesn't know. Today, the pest control guy was here, I had the dog on the leash, wrapped around my wrist, two hands on it, dog between my legs, practically sitting on him, and he still tried to get to the guy. I need to figure out how to train him to be able to, like give him a command word where he will not try to go after someone that is a stranger to him but is ok to be here. Can anyone give me suggestions on how to do this? The problem I have with figuring it out is that the rare people are so rare I don't really have any opportunities to try to teach him when they are around.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:55 PM on Jan. 20, 2009 in Pets

• Your dog is already protective when a stranger comes around. Now you need to teach him a command that he will know to back off when you say it is ok. Pick a word that you can remember.Then if he knows other commands , like sit, or stay or down, start with those commands until he knows them really well. Use a heal command to put him in when someones comes. That puts him right next to you, for protection, unless you need him to be protective. He will know if this person is a threat to you or a delivery person . Use a stranger friend to test his obedience. Meet the mailman when he delivers the mail and put your dog in a heal,sit,stay command. If he can do that you have it made. I make my dogs (wait command) before going outside. If someone is out their , They don't go out. Set boundaries for you pet. Teach them knowledge to live by. Good luck and happy training.

doglovergranny

Answer by doglovergranny at 5:48 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• Please no matter how rare find a training center for him, find a way to get him comfortable around people. My daughter survived a attack from a dog she knew who showed these types of signs and no one did anything to stop it. The danger to others is just too great, there should be groups in your communtiy who offer training if not call your local animal control ASPCA and ask about programs to help you.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 5:28 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• my dog is the same way.. she's a pit/american bull dog mix..our dogs have no people skills..lol..i think we need to make them be around people more.. my husband literally has to pin her down to the ground and make her calm down(like how cesar does on dog whisperer) then, he'll make her sit there for like 5 or 10 mins being completely calm and submissive before he moves on..but thats my hubby who is alot stronger than me and isnt pregnant..i dont really have any advice other than that becuase we're in the same boat..if you figure out what to do w your dog, please let me know so i can try it with mine!! GL
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 5:48 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• i tried doing what the last poster said, and maybe it'll work now but she sat and stayed until she saw the shadow of the ups lady coming up the stairs and ran around me and out the door. she didnt bite her but it looked like she was going to.. to go along with what the poster said, i would try treats at the door to help. maybe i should try that with mine. once again. GL
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 6:22 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• 3 ring, while I understand you would be upset by what happened to your daughter, your answer doesn't help me. I don't WANT him to be "comfortable around people". The point is for him to protect my family, I don't want him to lick the burglar. I simply want to be able to get him to settle down and be calm when a relative stranger is at my home for a reason, so that I don't have to have him on a leash. I watch the dog like a hawk, to ensure he never attacks someone unprovoked. But, I do want him to protect my home and my family from someone who should not be on my property.
    I do appreciate the other answers, though. Especially doglovergranny. Your response is very helpful; I guess I just assumed that teaching the command wouldn't work if he wasn't in the situation, but your description proves me wrong. Thank you!
    Anonymous

• friend. that's my word. when my dog goes nuts with the barking and stuff, i pop him on the nose and say firmly "friend. shut up." he's a pipsqueak dog, but it seems to be working.
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 8:12 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• you need to watch "it's me or the dog" (on animal planet)and "dog whisperer"(natgeo which is national geographic). they have great techniques but it's best to watch it on tv rather then trying to read it and try. it's to much to word in this 1000 word limitation.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 8:25 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• Muzzle it when ever you know someone is going to be coming to protect your self and them as well!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:50 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• If you want a dog that can also be a protection dog, you need a LOT more experience with training before someone gets hurt. What you have done is allow your dog to be aggressive "sometimes" and have never taught him a leave it command or a release word, so your dog is a HUGE liability. What will you do if there is a time you cannot get to him or control him and he seriously hurts someone? Even if it is on your property, you will be held responsible. You need to find a trainer/behaviorist to come and teach you how to train your dog properly so he will reliably respond to your verbal commands EVERY SINGLE TIME. www.apdt.com is a place to start in finding a trainer to help you get your dog under control.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:50 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• our dogas simply respond to the word OK - we tell them it's ok when people enter the hosue or they go crazy - even with people they know - It is fun when they keep my mom pinned to the door until we go and tell then ok - sooner or later she'll learn to knock before entering our house
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:06 AM on Jan. 21, 2009