How would you react?

How would you react to your boss telling a co-worker he could leave to watch the inauguration because he is black? Because that's exactly what happened today at my work and it's been bugging me all day. He did not ask to leave, he was just told that he could leave if he wanted and he did. Not a single other person was asked if they wanted to leave (and yes he is the only black person in the office). Just curious what other people's response to this would be...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:55 PM on Jan. 20, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• File a complaint of discrimination tomorrow. No joke, call a lawyer, you'll find one to take the case.
    akinbottom2

Answer by akinbottom2 at 4:56 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• I actually agree with akin. That is discrimination.
    njmommy2boys

Answer by njmommy2boys at 4:58 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• Reverse Racism, file a complaint of discrimination
    Anonymous

• If you were not allowed to be excused to watch it, and you feel that you were treated unfairly, I would file a discrimination claim.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 5:09 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• thanks for the answers. while i totally agree that it is discriminatory, i can't really file anything. the owner (guy that said it) is an older guy, almost into retirement and also one of my dad's best friends. plus we survive from my income so i'm not going to stir the waters. i just thought that was so rude and crazy!
    Anonymous

• Did you ask to leave? Unless you were refused, and he was allowed...and you were told it was because he was "the token black guy", then it may be something other than discrimination.
    brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 5:11 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• Making accusations without proof is just as discriminatory.
    brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 5:12 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• If I were the black guy I would sue the company for picking me out that I needed to see the innaguration. That's racist towards him and frustrating to the people around.

AND THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS REVERSE RACISM! Either someone is racist or not (no matter the color of their skin) no one is reverse racist.
    lovetoteachec

Answer by lovetoteachec at 5:12 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• yup call a lawyer quickly!!!!
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 5:15 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• And so the president being a black man is already having an effect on the rest of the african american population. it's ridiculous.
    Anonymous