If you have food poisoning should you BF your baby that milk, or pump and dump it?

jenn714

Asked by jenn714 at 5:00 PM on Jan. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would call either his pedi or a lactation consultant. I know that in terms of drinking, you're not supposed to BF if YOU feel tipsy and until an hour after you stop feeling the effects. I would think that your baby should be safe drinking your milk even if you've had food poisoning, but I would call a DR or someone who is more educated on the subject just to be safest.
    cat0325

Answer by cat0325 at 5:22 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• "If mom has food poisoning, breastfeeding should continue. As long as the symptoms are confined to the gastrointestinal tract (vomiting, diarrhea, stomach cramps), breastfeeding should continue without interruption as there is no risk to the baby. This is the case with most occurences of food poisoning. If the food poisoning progresses to septicemia, meaning the bacteria has passed into mom's bloodstream (mom would most likely be hospitalized), see this guidance from Dr. Ruth Lawrence: " http://www.kellymom.com/health/illness/mom-illness.html

Anonymous

• pump and dump. when in doubt, throw it out. why take a risk with your baby?
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 8:07 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• i would pump it and dump it out
    henderson20

Answer by henderson20 at 5:37 PM on Jan. 21, 2009