What would you do if you knew someone who?

One of my very close friends wants to have another baby. Which is 100% great. However her reason for wanting another baby is so she can get wic for her family and cut down on money spent at the store. What would you say to this? I leave my answers to myself just wanted to her some other answers.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:02 PM on Jan. 20, 2009 in General Parenting

• We are all experiencing hard times. But this approach could really backfire. For one, many states have been turning away, quite illegally, those who are eligible. So she may meet the requirements after her second child but still be denied services. GA is a prime example of a state that is in crisis mode after turning away many families and dropping many from needed services. In the long run it costs the states more money. They use the "saved" money from their block grant and use it on non related social services state needs. So she could end up with just another mouth to feed and still no services. This isn't the time to bank on that help will be available.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:46 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• she'll end up spending more in the long run. 2 in diapers? forget it!
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 5:04 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• Um...WIC isn't going to offset the other costs, like clothes and diapers.....
    mamapotter

Answer by mamapotter at 5:04 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• i'm not tryting to call your friend dumb or anything, i have no clue what her situation is... but imo that's a really dumb idea! that baby is going to cost her WAY more in the long-run than that WIC is worth
    Anonymous

• Umm, cheese, milk and cereal is alot less than what a baby costs forEVER! WIC does not last a lifetime. Why do people think if they have another baby that they can have all these things free? I mean, a baby requires more than a few WIC items. I do not get it. I bet if she would get rid of cell phones, cable, internet, and items that are costing beyond her means she would spend way less. I gave up everything for my family to have food and clothes. But I got on my feet and got them back! Why can't she??
    JLynn0871

Answer by JLynn0871 at 5:05 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• that's just not true! she will be spending more of baby things than what WIC gives you! she needs to really think things. she should have another baby b/c she really wants to not good reason!
    Anonymous

• WIC doesnt give you that much, not enough for a family it only covers the baby, this is not a good rason for having a baby.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 5:18 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• Like everyone else said, point out to her that WIC does NOT cover diapers, wipes, clothes, baby food (except cereal), diaper creams, baby wash, shoes, car seats, toys, etc, etc, etc. That reasoning is just absolutely ridiculous. And it only lasts until baby turns 5, what is she going to do after that? Have another one just to keep getting some free milk??

mom2XandZ

Answer by mom2XandZ at 6:02 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• well that is crap and i agree it wont really make any diff
    i will say tho she sure is lucky according to the WIC office here my husband makes 5 dollars to much ! they wont give it to us they look at his before taxes pay too
    Anonymous

• you should speak up and tell her what all the other moms on here are saying..she's going to spend more in the long run..you can keep the opinion of she's an idiot to yourself, but point that out.
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 7:17 PM on Jan. 20, 2009