the maual says no ,but social worker says yes...who do I believe?

I have a very want-to-be active 5 month old boy. He has an exersaucer and he used to love it, but when we looked at he manual it said not to let him stand flat footed. It didn't say why, so I asked a social worker friend and she said that he needs to be able to touch so that he can spin and bounce, all to build muscle. So, I don't know what to do. I know that he hates the tiy now and will never let me put him down, and I can't get any thing done. help please?

artsymom25

Asked by artsymom25 at 5:06 PM on Jan. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• put that baby back in there.
    JLynn0871

Answer by JLynn0871 at 5:08 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• I'd put him back in if he's happy in it and has good head control.
    SahmTam

Answer by SahmTam at 5:08 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• I think the manual says that to stop parents from letting the child stay in the saucer when they are too tall. B/c if they are tall enought to stand flat footed they might could push up and fall out.

It would be better for a child to be able to touch and push off from the floor, but not have too much momentum to be able to push out.

The manual is just covering their hind ends in case a child gets hurt.

My saucer had an adjusment thing on the side to make it taller as my kids got taller.

Does any of that make sense ;) I am tired.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 5:11 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• He like it when he could stand up, but now that he can't touch he hates it. Should I lower it back to where he can touch?
    artsymom25

Answer by artsymom25 at 5:11 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• yes! pack him in with some blankets, and give him some more toys to play with, gives you atleast 10-20 minutes of arms free time!
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 5:16 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• If you didn't have any problems before then lower it back down and let him play. It won't hurt him.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 5:19 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• Ok ... what we did was to use folded blankets or towels to enable our son to reach with his toes. He wasn't able to get his whole foot on the floor until he was older and much better at balancing.
    cat0325

Answer by cat0325 at 5:20 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• Most physical therapists will tell you not to use one or if you must, use it for short periods at a time. The pressure of weight at that young of an age can cause bow legs. Seriously, that's not an old wives tale. That is why it says not stand flat footed.

sammygrl77

Answer by sammygrl77 at 6:04 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• well, thats my problem..he stands no matter what. He wants to be on the move all the time and the exersaucer allows that. I usually dont leave him in it for more than enough time to load the dishwasher or load or switch loads in the washer/dryer. Then I pick him up and we play. If I didn't use something like that then he would in turn cry all the time or I would have to walk constantly. My mom is a physical therapist for children, she's ok with it as long as we spen tummy time...
    artsymom25

Answer by artsymom25 at 7:59 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• on the balls of his feet are fine, but not flat footed. if they are flat footed, then they are putting too much weight on those little legs.
    abelsmama07

Answer by abelsmama07 at 8:38 PM on Jan. 20, 2009