Has any other mothers heard of "orajel" being unsafe for teething babies....!?!

KiBURi_JRzMoMMy

Asked by KiBURi_JRzMoMMy at 5:15 PM on Jan. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No, how?
    Anonymous

• I herad it can make it harder for the teeth to come through because it toughens the gums. I havent needed to use it though, her teeth never bothered her!
    isra1986

Answer by isra1986 at 5:25 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• My sons doctor told us not to use it because it can make them have a hard time swallowing.
    BubblesB

Answer by BubblesB at 5:26 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• You have to be careful about how much you use and how close you use it to when they eat. It can numb the back of the throat and make swallowing more difficult, casuing them to choke.
    cat0325

Answer by cat0325 at 5:38 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• You can buy homeopathic teething drops. they don't work like oragel but it might give some relief, and just use oragel if you absolutely have to, thats what i'm doing.
    jenn714

Answer by jenn714 at 5:38 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• Yes, my doctor told me it can affect their gag reflux making it not work properly. I've also heard that if you decide to use it, it should only be when the tooth is about to break through and there is significant swelling of the gums.
    GinaNewMom2008

Answer by GinaNewMom2008 at 5:57 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• Our pediatrician said not to use it because it doesn't take much to numb too much of the mouth and they could gag and choke because they can't feel to swallow....
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:11 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• I heard the same thing as TiccledBlue. I won't be using it that's for sure!
    Anonymous

• you have to just use a little.
    its also great to numb your eyebrows before plucking.
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 7:54 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• I've only heard bad things on here, but I dont use it. Use teething tablets instead. They are GREAT!
    LovinMyMikayla

Answer by LovinMyMikayla at 8:36 PM on Jan. 20, 2009