WHAT'S HIS PROBLEM

OK SO MY SON IS 3.5 AND HE'S BEEN POTTY TRAINED SINCE HE WAS 2 WELL MY SON USED TO STILL SLEEP IN MY BED UNTIL I GOT PREGNANT WE MOVED HIM TO HIS ROOM WITH HIS OTHER OLDER BROTHER AND SINCE HE'S BEEN IN THERE HE'S BEEN WETTING THE BED EVERY SINGLE NIGHT!!! WHEN HE USED TO SLEEP IN MY BED HE'D WAKE UP AND GO POTTY BY HIMSELF. I REALLY DONT WANT TO HAVE TO BUY HIM PULL-UPS WHEN HE KNOWS WHAT TO DO AND USE THE POTTY CAUSE BUYING FOR 2 KIDS IS JUST MORE $$ I'VE TRIED TALKING TO HIM ABOUT THIS AND HE TOLD ME HE LIKES WEARING DIAPERS!
HAS ANYONE HAD THIS PROBLEM AND WHAT DO I DO??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:28 PM on Jan. 20, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• He could be acting out for attention b/c of the new baby on the way.

But I am very lenient when it comes to bed wetting b/c their bladders are not big enough to keep it inside all night and if they are sleeping soundly then they might not wake up in time or at all to go.

I talked to my pediatrician about this not long ago and they dont even worry about bed wetting until a child is 8!!!! I was surprized!

I would just suck it up and buy pullups for a while until he can get back to where he was, no need for stress about accidents.... ;)
    Anonymous

• He's just gone through a big change. The new baby and the move to a big boy room combined is probably producing a lot of anxiety for him. I'd give him lots and lots of praise when he does well, and give no negative attention to a wet bed. Just change the sheets and him like it's no big deal and simply say, remember we need to go potty in the bathroom like a big boy. It'll stop eventually as he regains his security.
    Kimebs

Answer by Kimebs at 6:11 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• I would not buy the diapers, give him extra attention, and just act like its really not that big a deal. Have him strip is bed and put his pants and sheets in the hamper and if you have the time help you put the sheets back on the bed.
    Its not making a big deal its, oh well you had an accident your bed is wet so we have to change the sheets.
    (
    My 3.5 does it herself, she has never been night trained yet and will pee through a pull up.)

And then keep going, talk about all the cool things that he gets not that he's the older one, the big brother etc. If he can have his decorate his area in his room special, decorate his bed (stickers are a cheap easy)

And then take deep breaths and keep truckin
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 7:43 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• He's gone through a big change and a bigger one is on the way. Expect (and accept) that daytime accidents will happen once the baby arrives.
    Also, he may not have been sleeping as soundly when he slept with you. You may have rolled over at some point in the night just enough to wake him up enough for him to realize he had to go. Now that he is on his own, he may just be sleeping too soundly to know he has to go.

If you don't want to buy pullups or Good Nights and you don't mind extra wash, then just double make his bed... Matress cover, waterproof pad, sheet, waterproof pad, sheet. And set out extra blankets. Then you only need to strip off the wet layer while he changes himself in the night. Or he may even start doing it all himself as MamiJa suggests.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:26 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• my daughter sometimes still wets the bed when ever she spends the night at her father's house. I think it's just the change.
    MsRosati

Answer by MsRosati at 9:04 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• have him help you clean his sheets whe he wets the bed. make him strip his bed and put his sheets in the washer. you add soap and start it. then when its done, make him switch the load into the dryer. after that have him make his bed himself.

also give him lots of hugs and praise when he stays dry the whole night! go WAY over the top about it.
    it should get him staying dry fairly quickly
    bi-polarmommy

Answer by bi-polarmommy at 9:10 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• I've had a similar problem with my daughter. She was sharing a room with her little brother but then I decided to put the two boys together in the same room and give her her own room. As soon as she got her own room, she started wetting the bed almost every night. It actually took about 1.5 months and she finally stopped. Not sure why. I think it might of been because she then started pre-kindergarten and she was now going to start acting like a big girl.
    mom858

Answer by mom858 at 10:10 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• It sounds like attention. I would go to the dollar store and get a bunch of cheap knick knack things and before bed when your tucking him in tell him that if he doesn't pee pee in the bed tonight in the morning he will get a present. This way he gets the attention he wants and feels special to mommy but doesn't wet the bed.
    shelleyla20

Answer by shelleyla20 at 1:51 PM on Jan. 21, 2009