Quitting smoking???

Why is quitting smoking so hard? Anyone have any advice? I'm either gonna be bald or as big as a house by the time i'm done.

teresalangston

Asked by teresalangston at 5:47 PM on Jan. 20, 2009 in Just for Fun

• smoking is a very real addiction. Its no different than alcoholism or a serious drug addiction with one exception, smokers get ALOT less sympathy. It is both a physical and mental addiction and in my experience the mental addiction is the hardest to kick. Within 2 weeks of quitting smoking you are no longer chemically addicted, then comes the hard part, the mental addiction. Smoking becomes a habit and part of our daily ritual even more so and easier than say chugging a bottle of vodka a day or shooting up heroine. It is legal, socially acceptable and does not augment our frame of mind so we can smoke and continue on with our day. For me, I had to quit cold turkey. It was the only way but a couple things that helped me were finding better coping skills to deal with stress that would last a lifetime. I also stayed away from friends and family who smoked for awhile and avoided places where a lot of smoking took place.
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 5:57 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• I went on Chantix with no significant side effects. It worked for me. Its been two years.

Good Luck!
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 5:50 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• cont then I watched for rewards. I used that extra hundred in my pocket at the end of the month to get a manicure for my no longer yellowed nails and hands that had renewed sensation in their fingertips. I got a hair cut for hair that no longer smelled like smoke and smelled liek shampoo and I took myself out to an amazing meal that tasted so much better! Be gentle with yourself too. Just because you break down and bum a cig off a coworker doesnt mean you have to give up on quitting, just try harder tomorrow. But remember the same as an alcoholic cant have just one drink an ex smoker cant just have a cigarette so once you have quit be smart about it and dont start again
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 5:59 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• Today is day 6 and so far it is the hardest. I am actually in tears right now. i am going cold turkey. i have only been smoking for 2 1/2 years so i never imagined it would be this hard.
    teresalangston

Answer by teresalangston at 6:25 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• could you try doing something else when you have the urge for a cigerette? like chewing gum? drinking water? something else?
    megarooniduh

Answer by megarooniduh at 8:41 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• You've only been smoking for 2 1/2 years?
    I've been smoking for 6 years and that scares me. lol.
    I do know one thing. It gets harder to quit the longer you smoke!
    I about go crazy just trying to cut down. It's embarrassing. It smells bad, it makes your teeth yellow and have you ever noticed a 40 year old smoker compared to a 40 year old non smoker? BIG difference.
    Just think about those things. Think about how nasty it is and how it will make you look worse, ruin your teeth and make you smell bad. Good luck and I hope to join in on the journey of quitting smoking one day.
    Anonymous

• Another thing that works really good. Occupy yourself. Go out and do things to keep you entertained. I notice when I'm out and about I smoke much less because I'm occupied. Try that to keep your mind off of it. Stay away from you usual "smoking environments" that trigger the urge.
    Anonymous