Have you read "The Shack" ?

I just finished reading it. For those of you who read it... what did you think? I thought most of the book was very thought-provoking and inspiring, although there were some things that didn't line up with God's word.

brandyj

Asked by brandyj at 5:54 PM on Jan. 20, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I really liked it. Yes, it is a NOVEL. It is not meant to be an in-depth study. BUT, in my opinion, it is the best illustration of the nature of God and His relationship to humankind that I have ever read.

Personally, I do not believe everything horrible that happens is because God willed it. Evil exists in the absence of God from people's lives. However, I do believe that God can take any situation and use it to His glory if we let Him.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:04 AM on Jan. 28, 2009

• I loved it! It's one of the best books I've read in ages. I love how it puts God in a whole new light.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 6:22 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• I read it over the summer and loved it! It was really thought provoking.

Can I ask what things you feel didn't line up with God?
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 7:12 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• I answered this more in-depth when DusterMommy asked it on Jan. 12.

But, I'd like to add this: remember, it's a novel, not a theological study. If you google it, you can see many websites where people like it, or hate it, the latter usually due to theology. My opinion is if it gets you thinking, feeling, wondering - it's done it's job. Look up Scripture to find out the theology. Here's a couple of websites from/about the author:

http://theshackbook.com/willie.html

http://www.windrumors.com/10/the-shack-update-background-1/
    PSMother

Answer by PSMother at 9:20 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• Um, how many times is this question going to be asked? Start a Shack Lover group!
    Anonymous

• I liked it at first but when I got to the end I thought, what a cop out. So that's why god lets terrible horrible nasty things happen. he doesnt want to mess with our free will. I'd bet most people that have had terrible shit happen would have liked some help from the big guy. I'm not saying I dont believe in god, I hope he's there. But I hate it when people say "it's gods will, or he has a plan". But if you enjoyed the book and it made you feel good, then it worked for you and I'm glad.
    GMR

Answer by GMR at 11:15 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• My daughter told me about this book and said it was very good. the author was a guest speaker at her church this morning (1/25) and she said he had a great testimony.

BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 9:07 PM on Jan. 25, 2009