What the OB said about cramping and what I should do...

I've been cramping with no period for 2 weeks now and so I went to the OB today. Everything looks fine, but he told me that the stuff that causes cramps will store in your uterus and be released throughout your period, so since I have no period I'm not getting any relief.

He said I could either go on birth control to make my body have a period (which I won't do) or I could start my little one on cereal and more than likely my period will start (I'm nursing, and he said that once babies start on solids the moms usually get their cycle back.)

My daughter is 4 months, so I will probably just start her on cereal, has anyone else been through this or heard of this? Any suggestions or advice? Just looking for a little more info if it's out there. Thanks. (please no bashing about staring my babe on cereal before 6 months.)

julipickle

Asked by julipickle at 6:04 PM on Jan. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I haven't heard of starting solids so that you can getg your period. Give it a shot.
    coala

Answer by coala at 6:17 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• Neither option are a sure fix. I know many women whose nursing patterns changed and they never started their period.. me for one lol....

If the cramping is really bad you can take some cramp bark in liquid or capsule form and it can help ease the pain and is safe to take while nursing. I have always had bad cramping, during pregnancy and while nursing. This helps.

I wouldn't start cereal until 6 months though, just my opinion. If your daughter exclusively nurses chances are she still has an open gut, which helps give her the antibodies she needs. Cereal could cause it to close prematurely.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 6:19 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• i started my preemie on cereal at 3 mos. fully grown he would have been about 1 1/2 mo. its not bad as long as you know what you are doing. follow the doctors advice on teh cereal. some kids are ready for it sooner. each child is different.
    for the cramps...hot baths, warm drinks, curling into a ball on the sofa, and walking. exercise. all these things help with the cramps. well they helped me.
    the source of my info, btw, is my granny, who had 6 kids. and never once took the pill to get straightened out. (obviously. 6 kids. =))
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 7:19 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• What he's describing is endometriosis, and it's NOT associated with breastfeeding. You need to get a second opinion.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:17 AM on Jan. 21, 2009