This might be a little gross but its concerning me. I just changed my 6 month old daughter and when I wiped her bottom it had little blood streaks in it, what does that mean? Do I need to take her to the hospital?

This is very important and thank you to anyone that answers quickly.

BrittanyRay

Asked by BrittanyRay at 6:06 PM on Jan. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Did you notice the blood, and where it was, etc? My DD has had blood on her rectum and blood in her stools twice.

The first time she ever had blood I noticed it when I wiped and when I looked at her rectum I could see streaks. Freaked me out, but it's because she had strained a bit.

The second time her stools were soft but were full of blood. It was something she ate..

call the pedi, but I wouldn't make an ER rush for it.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 6:15 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• Does she have any sort of rash? Was there discharge? Its possible she has a rash or a yeast infection. I would take her to have it looked at.

Answer by gemgem at 6:07 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• I would take her in just to be on the safe side but the same thing happened with one of my daughter's and the doctor said it was normal in girl babies.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 6:08 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• Brittany

I wouldn't think so.. I don't think it is uncommon for a baby to strain a little whilst having BM.

3gr8tKids

Answer by 3gr8tKids at 6:08 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• If she was constipated it could be from trying too hard, if not than I would probly take her in. My son got that too but it was just from pushing to hard.
    BabyGsMaMa13

Answer by BabyGsMaMa13 at 6:08 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• If the blood is in her stool it could be that she is constipated. If her bottom is bleeding it could be that her skin is irritated. I would call the pediatrician's office before you rush off to the ER. You might end up spending a stressful night in the ER for nothing. Your child's pediatrician will advise you best. Call, that is what they are there for!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 6:10 PM on Jan. 20, 2009