i recently applied for a promotion at my work, but was denied due to the face that i have two children and the employers believed that would take away from my time and focus spent at work. Has any other mothers had problems such as these?

amaniotis

Asked by amaniotis at 6:25 PM on Jan. 20, 2009 in Money & Work

• Is that legal to deny someone for that reason???
    Anonymous

• That's discrimination. Consider an attorney.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:30 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• Well....Would the hours and responsibilities in all honesty AFFECT your being able to balance BOTH jobs? Or do you have a Nanny/full-time babysitter to take care of your children? Seriously! I am all for women climbing the corporate ladder, BUT, if you your kids are sick one day, or the kids are on school vacation/summer break, and you have reports/meetings to run, how will you manage everything?

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:34 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• Honey, I was passed by for a job I was more than qualified for just because I had children and come to find out the girl that was hired DID NOT KNOW WHAT A MOUSE WAS! Not the little white ones in your kitchen, the ones that are connected to the computer, yeah I was hot to say the least
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 6:38 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• Unfortunately that happens alot. In my career, about 25 years... I would say that happened to me about ten times. Does it bother me.. nope, if they are that ignorant, I don't need them.
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 6:59 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• That is illegal. I would get an attorney if you can prove that you didn't get the job b/c you have kids.
    coala

Answer by coala at 7:41 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• If you have that in writing, then take it to court. It's discrimination. They cannot refuse you an opportunity that you are qualified for simply because your a mother. Period.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 10:16 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• Go to www.avvo.com (that is a v v o.com with 2 "v'"s ) and ask an attorney for free. If they were stupid enough to tell you that is the reason then i think you have a great law suit.. Can you imagine them saying that to a man?

Answer by admckenzie at 10:23 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• Wow. I wish you worked for the company I work for. They would never do this.
    TeaAnderson

Answer by TeaAnderson at 1:21 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• That is discrimination and it's illegal.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:57 AM on Jan. 21, 2009