when did you start oatmeal?

my baby is 5 months and is taking the cereal really well. I was thinking about also starting oatmeal. When did you start your baby on oatmeal?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:32 PM on Jan. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my son started oatmeal cereal maybe 2 weeks after rice cereal. He had no problems with it, in fact he likes to oatmeal alot more than the rice
    calvinsmommy18

Answer by calvinsmommy18 at 1:21 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• Once they took the rice well without any issues I started oatmeal.

Answer by gemgem at 6:33 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• My oldest couldn't eat oatmeal it gave him a stomach ache and made him gassy.

Rice, on the other hand, did it to my younger two. They could only eat oatmeal.

It's like any other food.....don't offer anything else new until he's "cleared" on it.

They're now preschoolers and a toddler...no problems with any food other than citrus now!!!
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:41 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• I started Oatmeal at 7 months. I let my son get used to rice cereal first. After 1 week of being on oatmeal he was constipated..I found it to be too binding for him, each child's diff..but it's certainly something my son can do without!
    Anonymous

• my son is 6 months old ill soon be making a switch to stage two foods, and to oatmeal. hes been on cereal for 3 months and baby food for two. the next step for him is stage two or slightly mashed food, as i feed him stuff from our own plates when the ocassion is there for him to have that.. so with stage 2 and he's sitting on his own, we will start oatmeal, it all depends on what you think is best and what articles or books you read or follow.... i talked to my ped and he agreed with me about starting as soon as we are done with the last batch of stage one... thats in about two days
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 6:57 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• We started our son on oatmeal 2 days ago and on the 2nd he will be 5 months.
    Anonymous

• We tried oatmeal when all was clear with rice. She can't either b/c they constipate her severely. So we mash our own vegetables to give to her.
    coala

Answer by coala at 7:37 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• How much oatmeal are you all giving your babies??

I give my daughter only 1/2 Tablespoon in the am's. She hasn' t become constipated at all.

I started when she was 6.5 months old.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 7:40 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• Normally when your baby starts holding up their head then you can start feeding them oatmeal but I would start with plain as banana flavored tends to make them constipated
    ScootNPoot

Answer by ScootNPoot at 7:51 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• Oatmeal and Barley have more fiber in them than Rice Cereal and are less likely to make them constipated.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 9:00 PM on Jan. 20, 2009