Valuable lessons we learn

I'm so thankful my dad instilled into us that "can't" is a bad word. He taught it "can't" means you are saying you won't and that doesn't fly with him. He always required we put our best foot forward and gave everything a try - even if we failed, at least we tried.
That mentality has really done a lot for me in life. The only down-side - it REALLY frustrates me when people say they can't do something... Try, and if you fail, try again.
Edison said, “I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
and
“Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.”
and
“We often miss opportunity because it's dressed in overalls and looks like work”

What is a valuable lesson you learned from your parents that you carry with you today and will pass on to your children?

daylily888

Asked by daylily888 at 7:11 PM on Mar. 5, 2012 in

• Your dad sounds soooo much like mine!!! he is the reason I graduated from college with six majors attached to my bachelors! I got pregnant my sophomore year and he was the ONLY one who said you CAN finish school!!! He would not let me stop... so I finished in five years (total) with honors!!! It was all him saying you can do this!!!! I love my dad!! :)
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 7:22 PM on Mar. 5, 2012

• if you don't take care of yourself, no one else will--don't let anyone step on you... my mom
    nothing is that serious--whistle or sing a song when it comes to mind--play ball!--a good joke is better than, well, anything....my daddy.

they are complete opposites..so hopefully, i'm somewhere in the middle.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 7:34 PM on Mar. 5, 2012

• LOL! That's EXACTLY what I told my kids "I can't means I won't" Lordy, they parrot that at the dinner table every Christmas :D
    BrawnwynII

Answer by BrawnwynII at 7:14 PM on Mar. 5, 2012

• That nothing in life is free. If you didn't pay for it, someone else did.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 7:26 PM on Mar. 5, 2012

• There are no stupid questions.--from my Daddy
    If you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all--my Mom and her Dad.
    carynleigh

Answer by carynleigh at 8:54 AM on Jun. 23, 2012

• Actually the one I remember the most didn't come from my parents, but my teacher in primary school. I can even recall her voice saying: "Treat others like you want to be treated."
    Pucki

Answer by Pucki at 3:24 AM on Mar. 26, 2012

• right
    smiley745

Answer by smiley745 at 7:55 PM on Apr. 7, 2012