Do I really have to wait SIX WEEKS for sex?

I had my daughter a week ago today and I got an episiotomy. The doctor said six weeks without sex.. Do I really have to wait this long? And how long will it take for the stitches to stop hurting so bad?? I was told I have four stitiches. I just assumed they were all in a row on my perineum. I was wrong. I took a hand mirror to look the other day when they were hurting really bad and there are two randomly placed stitches at the opeing to my vagina.. Is that normal??

MommyHess

Asked by MommyHess at 1:07 AM on Jul. 19, 2008 in Pregnancy

• LOL I was in the mood for sex the day after I had my daughter. I'm suprised so many women say they aren't in the mood for months. I was only told to wait three weeks by my doctor. I didn't rip or have to have stitches though. If I were you I'd wait simply because you don't want to have to go through getting stitches again because you've ripped something (OUCH). Thats just me though.
    brandymichele

Answer by brandymichele at 9:18 AM on Jul. 26, 2008

• I waited for 2 weeks. I felt fine so I did it. (and I had a few stitches)Are you using the peri bottle or whatever they're called with warm water?? that will help keep them cleaner and help them feel better. And the stitches should be normal. If you had two tears in different places...then yes. You can tear during child birth in places you didn't even know was possible!
    NinjaHeather54

Answer by NinjaHeather54 at 1:23 AM on Jul. 19, 2008

• you really should wait...especially with a cut down there! and rips dont just happen in a perfect line. it can kinda get messy. but if i were you, id wait those 6 weeks to avoid further pain. youll heal faster if you dont mess with it. when you feel like you did before the birth, then it should be ok. you need to heal your bod just went through alot!
    briyeti

Answer by briyeti at 1:25 AM on Jul. 19, 2008

• NOPE I AM PROOF OF THAT I HAVE KIDS 11 MONTHS APART AND YOU ARE REALY PREGNANT FOR 10 MONTHS....40 WEEKS= 10 MONTHS ...I DONT KNOW WHERE THE 9 MONTH THING CAME FROM I GUESE WIFES TALE?? BUT YES I ONLY WAITED 3 WEEKS..LOL
    BUSYMAMA5

Answer by BUSYMAMA5 at 1:25 AM on Jul. 19, 2008

• you WANT to have sex b4 6 weeks? I didn't want to for months!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:48 AM on Jul. 19, 2008

• Ditto the pp.

I had an episiotomy as well...sounds similar to yours actually....I'd wait until you have your 6 week checkup...when I went to mine, the doc discovered a stitch that was stuck in there...and it hurt like hell when he ripped it out.

I waited almost three months...LOL. Even then, it hurt.

Take it slow and easy...no rush.
    MommytoNakoa

Answer by MommytoNakoa at 2:37 AM on Jul. 19, 2008

• I waited about 8 or 9 weeks. I was so not in the sex mood after having the baby. I was totally in the mommy mode.....and exhausted!
    HomeBoundMama

Answer by HomeBoundMama at 2:52 AM on Jul. 19, 2008

• Even though you probably COULD have sex before then, I strongly advise against it. My husband and I tried once at four weeks and it hurt so bad that I just started screaming and crying. We finally had sex around 8 weeks post partum.
    MamaPyratekk

Answer by MamaPyratekk at 7:41 AM on Jul. 19, 2008

• I'd wait until you're healed up at least. Then I'd make sure you used birth control. Give your body a little time to heal....at the least, a few months.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 8:02 AM on Jul. 19, 2008

• Wow, you are a supermom if you are aready in the mood for sex. Wait the 6 weeks. You need to heal physically. I wasn't in the mood for much longer. I'm happy for you, as your hubby must be!
    Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 8:38 AM on Jul. 19, 2008