constipation

My two year old seems to get constipated a lot. We have tried to add fiber to his food and also tried the little tummys laxative. The first time we used it, it worked great and he had great bm's for about 3 weeks. Now he is plugged up again and we have given the drops to him, but it doesn't seem to be working as well. Anyone have this problem? Suggestions? He also has not been eating very well for about a week.

michiganmommy11

Asked by michiganmommy11 at 7:14 PM on Jan. 20, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Try some pear juice. It's not as acidic as apple juice so it won't leave a nasty rash on your son's butt. It also tastes a LOT better than prune juice!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 7:17 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• Try Activia it is supposedly guaranteed to work or your money back. It makes you regular within 2 weeks.
    SgrplmsnSnflwrs

Answer by SgrplmsnSnflwrs at 7:20 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• He drinks apple juice..is pear juice better?
    michiganmommy11

Answer by michiganmommy11 at 7:20 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• He eats activia everyday and a lot of it. We seem to be only able to get him to eat yogurt and applesauce.
    michiganmommy11

Answer by michiganmommy11 at 7:22 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• We had this problem, recently, and had to give our daughter a baby enema :-( Since then, we have been giving her V8 FUSION. It has a full serving of fruits and veggies!

My son had this problem, very badly, when he was a toddler and the Dr. had me give him mineral oil everyday. I don't remember how much so I would ask your Dr. but it worked really well!!

Good luck!
    HeathersBabies

Answer by HeathersBabies at 7:22 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• Tons of fruits and veggies. Research the best foods for fiber, and make sure he gets them with every meal. We went through this, and changed her diet, and she is right on now. Laxatives are not good for constipation that exists for the main reason that the hardened stool already needs to come out, sorry for the TMI...but as a last resort try a stool softener, which will soften the stool that is already there...then double up those fruits and veggies, and other high fiber foods!!!
    MommytoIsabella

Answer by MommytoIsabella at 7:26 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• We've had constant constipation since last spring. Diet changes didn't help and as you may be aware, long term use of laxatives can make it harder for them to go. The main problem we hit was that once it hurt to go, she didn't want to go. She'd hold on for days, refusing to go. She'd arch her back, go rigid, look up at the ceiling, and scream until the urge to go passed. No fun at all. Long term constipation can cause physical changes in the lower bowel - again making it harder for them to know they have to go and harder to actually go. Potty training (at least for poop) is also not going to happen while this is an issue.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 7:29 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• This is what our doctor has us doing:
    Read the book "Everyone Poops" a lot.
    Limit milk to 16 to 20 ounces a day. This includes ALL milk products.
    Try to get more fruits and veggies in him.
    And the biggie - a half dose of Miralax every day. EVERY DAY. Miralax isn't really a laxative and doesn't make them go. It simply grabs ahold of a bunch of water and traps it in the poop. It makes it pretty much impossible for the poop to get big or hard. If we miss a day, I can tell since it will usually be 2 to 3 days before she goes again - along with lots of crying and screaming every time she gets the urge.
    I'd talk to your doctor first but it's working for us! Her fear is easing (remember, this has been 9 months now!) and I have hope that she will be willing to poop train soon.
    kaycee14

• my dd has frequent constipation..we tried everything from juice to laxatives nothing helped much.I bought her some nestle nido +1 and thats what has helped her most.It is like a formula for older babies.Only 1 walmart I have found sells it,unfortuantly not ours, and alot of mexican groceries sell it.it is pretty cheap,about $4 a can.give it a try.
    Lindasmama

Answer by Lindasmama at 8:09 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• i give my daughter apple jucie alot when her poop gets hard and it works when it start to get to running dont your baby any more apple jucie unless he cant poop and apple juice will not give your baby a rash unless your babys allergic to it my daughter dosent get rashes from apple jucie
    henderson20

Answer by henderson20 at 8:50 PM on Jan. 20, 2009