Is my daughter too old for me to bathe with her?

My daughter has recently become TERRIFIED of the bath! We think it's because she doesn't like to get water in her eyes but her hair is VERY curly and VERY long (when wet) so it's practically unavoidable.

We've tried all of the fancy things to keep water out of her eyes (special cups with the rubber forehead cover, hats, etc.) but she won't let us come near her with it.

When I do "force" her to get in the tub, she stands the whole time, trembles, screams and reaches out for me the whole time. It's so heart-breaking!! I just wash her down really fast but I don't feel like she's getting very clean, I mean, she doesn't even sit in the water so her diaper area isn't "soaking".

Her doctor says to just sponge bathe her but I'd like to try taking a bath with her. I'm wondering if I'm in there with her if maybe it would ease her fears. The thing is, she will be 3 in March...is she too old for that?

HeathersBabies

Asked by HeathersBabies at 7:31 PM on Jan. 20, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• No you both are female I dont see any thing wrong with it
    mona4k

Answer by mona4k at 7:35 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• I'd say no. My daughter is 3 and I still take baths w/ her. After all, she is a girl not a boy so go for it if it makes her feel comfy.
    huntannakay

Answer by huntannakay at 7:36 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• Thanks... that's what I was thinking. I'd NEVER have my DH do it but I wasn't sure if my "grown-up" parts would traumatize her...lol!
    HeathersBabies

Answer by HeathersBabies at 7:38 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• your welcome
    mona4k

Answer by mona4k at 7:39 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• i would say no too.
    seasnakesc

Answer by seasnakesc at 7:41 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• I think its fine if you do.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 8:01 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• Absolutely fine. Our bodies is nothing to be ashamed of. If your daughter isn't at an age to be bashful about her body or not want you to see it then no. She's not too old to take a shower with you.
    SmileyMoo

Answer by SmileyMoo at 8:07 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• I felt the same fear when I had to do the same thing for the same reason. It does help and after a few times you most likely won't have to bathe with her again because she will feel more comfortable, but you will probably have to deal with her always wanting to take baths with you when you try to take one alone. If that happens just have someone grab her attention elsewhere, you don't want it to become a habit.
    ClaraBearLove06

Answer by ClaraBearLove06 at 8:13 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• My daughter is three and she has very long hair too. I still take showers with her too. There is nothing wrong with it at all.
    MsRosati

Answer by MsRosati at 8:24 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• My daughter is younger (will be 2 in April), but we went through the same type of thing a few months ago. She went from loving baths to screaming when we put her in the tub like overnight. I took her in the shower with me a couple times and she was fine, so I decided to just ease her back into the tub by herself. It took a lot of reassurance to her - I just talked in a calm, low voice - letting her know it was ok. It took a few times of doing this (maybe a week or so) and each time it was easier than the last. Finally she went back to loving the bath and being a daredevil in the tub again. But to answer your question, I don't think there is any problem with you taking baths or showers with your daughter, especially since she is a girl too.
    kicknscreamn222

Answer by kicknscreamn222 at 8:39 PM on Jan. 20, 2009