What the heck are they teaching in our schools??

My girls came home today and said they watched the swearing in. I am not a big Obama fan but ok. So they tell me they did this because it was really important (that's what the teachers said). So I asked them why? (just to make sure they understood). The teachers gave them no other reason other than that he was the 1st African American Pres? Really? That's the onlt significanse to this day?

And then there is the "say no to drugs" campaign. My youngest daughter comes home talking about how we can't give our dog chicken bones b/c it's illegal. WHY.....because drugs are things that are bad for you and can kill you and since this holds true for dogs and chicken bones they must be drugs!
omg.
Is this not nuts? Shouldn't they be teaching them not just skimming the surfaces??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:33 PM on Jan. 20, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• LOL, yes they should be going into more depth. Wow....yeah....go homeschool!!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 7:36 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• That is why I am searching for the best school for my daughter already... and she is only 4 months old!!
    jhj4ever

Answer by jhj4ever at 7:38 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• Well they need to get into a few details, I will admit. When she was in 5th grade my daughter came home and all serious said she needed to know if daddy and I always used condoms!! To say I was a bit astonished would be putting it mildly. I asked her what on earth she was talking about and she said the teacher (sex ed) had told them that everybody ALWAYS had to wear a condom or they could get sick and die! Needless to say I straightened her out on the facts, but sometimes kids don't listen to the whole explaination, or the teacher doesn't teach it all, so a parent has to keep on top of what the kids are learning, or half-learning, in school.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 7:39 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• i agree it is nuts a ridiculous that is one BIG reason of why my children do not and will not attend public schools
    private schools are the only places where my children will ever be they dont do this stupid wrap up on things
    Anonymous

• since you're posting anon. I'm assuming you must be white. Well when you're a minority and your ancestors have struggled to be equal and fight
    Adja70

Answer by Adja70 at 7:40 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• seeing his presidency IS a milestone. And andbesides that, it is important to see this ceremony! White black brown, I'd like to remember 20 years from now that I saw that and my child did too. You got to learn to appreciate it!:)
    Adja70

Answer by Adja70 at 7:42 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• All I can reply is: your children are lucky they have YOU. ... My husband and I are both long-time teachers ... unless a larger percentage of parents start to do their jobs, and quit expecting schools to do parenting along with teaching math & history, then teachers will be unable to TEACH math or history - you can't teach kids who are unable to focus, who can't quit poking their neighbor or getting attention some other way (they BADLY NEED the attention, but one adult among 30 students cannot possibly give them what they need. ... sigh.) With our own kids, we basically didn't leave anything to the school they were attending - we went over the subjects ourselves. We did it with an air of lively interest and enthusiasm and sharing. And we added in pieces which we felt were missing or needed a corrected perspective. As teachers, we KNEW that what children are presented in school is far from infallible ...
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 7:43 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• My son goes to a public school and he knew the significance of the inauguration as a whole as well as this inauguration's importance in history. He knows who the exiting president is and who Obama is. He knows of the Washington Monument and The White House and other locations of political and historical relevance. It is the job of the teacher to give information but it is the job of the parent to follow up. My child did not have to wait until today to find out what the purpose of Inauguration Day was. I think that parents should take ownership and accountability for their childrens' knowledge or lack thereof. I think that we as parents have gotten a little lazy in our expectations of the teacher.

micrespo

Answer by micrespo at 7:46 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• Sorry I am giggling about the chicken bones, it is kind of funny.

My children where told why they should watch, the process of the changeover was explained to them by the teachers, the traditions and where some of those traditions come from. It's not uncommon with historic moments for teachers to get excited because it is a living breathing teachable moment of histroy that they get to share with their students.

As far as the DARE program Im not sure what your kids are being taught mine come home with all sorts of information. Depending on the age of your youngest they may have tried to give an example of things children already know are bad like giving an animal somthing they shouldnt have, to drive home the point that drugs are bad in the same way for humans.

If your really worried ask the teachers about their lesson plans I have done this in the past just so I know what information my children are getting.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 7:46 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• My son is in 6th grade, in middle school here in Long Island, NY and he saw the inauguration in his Library. I see nothing wrong with it. I watched it here at home and thought is was wonderful. Barack Obama looked very proud when he walked out. I like him and think he'll do us good. We'll just have to wait and see. Everybody should just leave him alone. He is an intelligent, kind man.
    elainecat

Answer by elainecat at 7:46 PM on Jan. 20, 2009