1 piece or 2 piece swimsuits for your daughter?

Some moms I know have decided that they are not going to allow their daughters to have 2 piece swim suits as they grow up. They feel it's flaunting, putting yourself out there and inviting bad behavior. What do you think?

Trinjo

Asked by Trinjo at 1:23 AM on Jul. 19, 2008 in General Parenting

• Honestly, I think it depends on their age. I have an uncle who won't even allow his girls to swim with boys, so this is not extreme, IMO. I think it's cute on little little girls, but when they start to get mature physically, I might be more inclined to make my daughter wear a one piece. I dont have a daughter yet though, my opinion will most likely change when I become a mommy to a lil girl.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 1:28 AM on Jul. 19, 2008

• i think its whatever you and your daughter agree on. i mean shes not flaunting it..cuz theres nothing to flaunt yet! lol...just make sure it fits her right! thats my opinion.
    briyeti

Answer by briyeti at 1:29 AM on Jul. 19, 2008

• As long as it fits right and inappropriate parts aren't falling out, I think a 2 piece is fine. My daughter got the shingles a few years ago and has scarring that goes from the center of her back around the side, so she prefers a one piece to hide her scars. When they are younger, it's not so bad. Its when they are 12 looking like they are 21 you should use caution as to how they are dressing and what type of "eyes" they are attracting.
    goinginsane1

Answer by goinginsane1 at 1:33 AM on Jul. 19, 2008

• WELL THERE WAS A POST ABOUT THIS LAST MONTH IT GOT SHUT DOWN!! MY FEELING ARE THEY WERE INVENTED FOR SEXY....WHO WANTS THEIR CHILD TO LOOK SEXY...FACE IT WOMEN STOMACHE AND BACKS ARE SEX SYMBOLS NOW...WHY PUT YOUR KIDS OUT LIKE THAT INVITING SOME PER TO GET OFF ON THEM...THATS MY OPINION..AND THATS IT..
    BUSYMAMA5

Answer by BUSYMAMA5 at 1:56 AM on Jul. 19, 2008

• One piece!
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 2:25 AM on Jul. 19, 2008

• i agree it depends on the age
    Patience1

Answer by Patience1 at 3:27 AM on Jul. 19, 2008

• One pieces here.
    mamasherwood18

Answer by mamasherwood18 at 9:42 AM on Jul. 19, 2008

• When my daughter is old enough and that is what she wants I see no problem with a tasteful two piece. What gets me are these two piece barley there bathing suits for little girls. I don't feel it is appropriate for little girls to be dressed like adults. There are just too many sickos out there.
    Maidenwolf

Answer by Maidenwolf at 9:54 AM on Jul. 19, 2008

• DH is absolutely adamant that my g/d WILL NOT wear a two piece.Period. She is 5.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 10:07 AM on Jul. 19, 2008

• I think there's a lot to be said for having a little bit of modesty. My girls wore one pieces and even though it was just one piece of clothing, I think practicing modesty at a young age helps when they are older (teenagers). My girls never wanted to wear the "belly" shirts that exposed the midriff, or the low rider jeans. At least that is one battle that I've never had to fight.

Now purple hair, that's another one that I HAVE had to fight. And I lost. LOL
    HealthyMom62

Answer by HealthyMom62 at 11:32 AM on Jul. 19, 2008