Are there reasons to not send your young child to a LARGE public school?

My daughter is only 2, but I think alot about what I will do for school for her since she can start at 3 or 4, but a question on here just got me thinking. My towns school is very big, like 4 stories and I really dont want my tiny little girl going to a huge school with hundreds of kids. What are the negatives about sending a young child to a large public school?

asholan_07

Asked by asholan_07 at 7:46 PM on Jan. 20, 2009 in General Parenting

• I personally don't want my son going to such a large school. So even though he is only 2 (I went visiting schools when he was only a year) I searched for the school that is the right fit for him. I wanted a school that had a small student/teacher ratio, a school that allowed him to continue to be the free spirit and independent thinker that he is, and a school that fit my parenting style. And I found one. But I will be honest. It also came with a hefty price tag. Ouch. I have a back up and it is the school we are zoned for. I can choose from any school in my county. Most people don't like the public school I am zoned for because there is a lot of racial diverstiy. As in almost equal number of white students to black students with a heavy Asian population, a fair percentage of Latino children and a category they call "other." It is rated number two academically in my county.  cont...

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:27 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• The only negative that come to mind is if there was over crowding, your child might not get the personal attention needed. A large building wouldn't necessarily mean that they were over crowded though.

Maybe that it would be harder to evacuate a large multi-story building in case of emergency?

Anonymous

• I hated large schools! To many students compared to teachers. It was hard to get that one on one help that I needed. I have been entertaining the idea of privet school for my son when it comes time
    CorCorsmomma

Answer by CorCorsmomma at 8:14 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• Check the student/teacher ratio - you really want to look for a school where the teacher doesn't have to manage a large class - 20-30 kids. Especially for kindergarten! However, even if the school is large and teachers are few, check also for teacher assistants and volunteers - this can help alleviate the problems by allowing more one-on-one time with younger children. Before deciding on a school, sit in on the classes to see if you are comfortable with it - the teacher, the students, the lessons, the attitudes...not everyone has a choice of public vs private, but if you're really uncomfortable with it, check into other options - homeschooling, private, or something else.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 9:07 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• if your not comfortable with it and there are other choices do what you think is right for your child. My daughter is in a high school that has over 3000 kids in it. Heck my hometown didn't have 3000 people.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 12:43 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• I put my child in private school thinking that it would be the best choice. Since the class size was small and that there would be more one on one...( 12- 18) kids in the class. he went there kinder, first and second. I was told not very happy he would do much better there..... After spending over $6,000.00 a year (and the cost went up each year) I couldn't afford to put him in this year. So for 3rd grade I put him in the " big" class public school system. And found out that this so called small class size was for the birds.... In 3rd grade he was reading at a first grade level. We talk to the school and put him back in the 2nd grade. so he can get the extra help now before it was too late. The private school did not have the funds and resources to help the children if they need help. cont.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:01 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• Con So they would have kept on passing him. It made me so mad I spent that $ for nothing. I called the principal and they put the learning blame on me not their school or teaching... I worked endless hours with my child reading and helping him. The report cards never showed that he was doing bad or needing any help in his reading or spelling. And found out the Teachers at a private school do not need to be trained in teaching!!! SO DO YOUR HOMEWORK BEFORE YOU SPEND YOUR HARD EARNED MONEY!!! I'm not saying public is so much better. Just really check out the schools first. My friend (at the same school) sees a problem with her oldest son who this year she put him in public HS and sees how behind he is after being in private for 8 years!!! hope this helps.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:02 AM on Jan. 21, 2009