how do i get my child to start eating table food?

my son doesnt eat any table food an wont touch anything i give him. he is almost two now an still is on a bottle... does anyone have any advice they could give on how to get him off the bottle an eating real food?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:02 PM on Jan. 20, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• stop giving him the bottle he is old enough to eat food and be dependant on it. I know it sounds mean but if he is hungry he will eat what is given him.
    ScootNPoot

Answer by ScootNPoot at 8:14 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• I agree. stop giving him the bottle and start offering water and real food instead. When he gets hungry he will eat. Switch to sippy cups and you should have it fixed.
    vbongard

Answer by vbongard at 8:17 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• Try this: start with breakfast: give him a waffle cut into small pieces with some fruit cut into small pieces. Let him work on that for a bit and then offer him his milk in a sippy cup. Try the cups with straws to start. If he doesn't eat the food or throws it around, take it away and offer it to him again later.

Focus on foods he can eat with his hands (even if it gets a little messy) and once he's gotten used to feeding himself, then work on letting him using utensils.

If you need to, ditch the bottle one feeding at a time.

Good luck!
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 9:00 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• When my son turned one I just took the bottle away. My son is 2 and he can drink out of sippy cups but also regular cups. He likes to see everyone else drinking out of them and he has one too. It might be hard at first but just take them away and get rid of them. Yall can do it! And as for food my son likes to try a lot of stuff by dipping them in something like ketchup(just a small dab). I agree with the other answers if he is hungry he will eat. Good luck! and dont give up!!
    Aidansmom2728

Answer by Aidansmom2728 at 9:01 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• A lot of times kids on bottles are getting a lot of fluids and filling up on those (especially milk) and so they aren't hungry enough to even try table foods. I agree to take away the bottle. If you can't take it away completely, then limit how much liquid he gets close to eating times so he'll be hungry enough for food.
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 9:13 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• I agree with the first two repsonses. Dont give him the bottle. Give him regular food and dont cave in when he starts to cry. Skipping one meal wont hurt him and he will get hungry and eat what is given to him. But i do suggest starting out with easy to digest foods first if he dosent eat regular food regularly.
    alexsmomma06

Answer by alexsmomma06 at 9:15 PM on Jan. 20, 2009