Question for those that go to church

can your kids sit still in church or do they bring toys or something to entertain themselves? Do you MAKE them listen?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:14 PM on Jan. 20, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I'm not sure how old your kids are but mine are 12 and 9. At our church we have a teen group and church group for younger ones, after they are dismissed from regular church.
    Anonymous

• I've never been to a church in my adult life that had the parents and children in together...or made the children sit through an "adult" focused sermon. When I was growing up LDS we always had to sit through an hour or so sacrament and it was torturous! LOL If I had to have my kids with me it'd be a waste of time for me and them.
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 8:20 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• Childrens church or yes, we make them sit there, usually they will bring a purse with crayons ect..to draw. I think it is important for kids to learn you have to be quiet and respectful during the sermon.
    sydsmom2

Answer by sydsmom2 at 8:24 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• Our church has Sunday school for the kids. They get dropped off before the service and then we pick them up.
    Anonymous

• Yes, I let my little boy color or play with his cars but I make sure he is very quiet.
    Anonymous

• I fellowship at Calvary Chapel (non denomination) and they have great classes for children while we listen to the sermon. Each goes to their own class room. Five kids so five check ins :) They get ministered at their own level. Pray about visiting other churches that may have this.
    JCRestoredme

Answer by JCRestoredme at 8:37 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• The church I go to has Swordbearers for ages 5-12 and the kids go there after worship. The older kids 13-18 stay in the sanctuary. They have Wildfire on monday nights. They just started the preschooler age 3 and 4 and they have infant care as well
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 8:45 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• My son is 3 1/2 and yes, he has attended Mass with me since he was an infant. We simply believe that attending church is full participation for everyone - not just listening for adults. So yes, he attends. No, he does not sit still nor does he listen the entire time, nor does anyone expect him to at this age - when he was younger we would walk around in the back or the sides. Now he can sit with me and sit, stand, crawl within a limited space. Most parishioners know us well enough to not squish in next to us, and if they do, we simply sit at the aisle so we can get up and walk. He loves going because it's a positive experience for him - no one expects him to be something he's not.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 9:16 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• im in the same boat as jcrestoredme, we have childrens church "(calvary chapel as well) we have infant class,(0to crawling), crawlers(usually about 8 months to 18 months) toddler class(18 months to 3) we are workin on getting a 2 year old class, 3 yr old class, 4 yr old class, kindergarten class. then school age, 1st thru 5th seperate classes, then jr high then hs once your out of hs you go to big church as my three year old calls it.
    HisServant4ever

Answer by HisServant4ever at 9:22 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• My 2 year old sits in church (we're Lutheran). I bring 1 toy car, a couple of snacks and a pen. He colors on the childrens booklet at times but does pretty well just being still. He likes to watch the pastor speak/move around and play the guitar. He also loves to sing...even after the rest of us have stopped. lol
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 9:45 PM on Jan. 20, 2009