How do we get our 4 year old to stop peeing in his pants?

Our 4 year old son is fully potty trained. There is no reason why he should be peeing in his pants but he does...ALL DAY! It's not just once in a while. It's like 3-4 times a day. The only way it doesn't happen is if I tell him to go to the bathroom every 30 min. which just isn't going to work once he starts school. We have yelled, pleaded, been sympathetic, put him in time out, and taken things away. I feel like we have tried everything. I am at a loss.

vnw1405

Asked by vnw1405 at 8:32 PM on Jan. 20, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• If you can, ask him every hour to go and use the potty because like someone else said, he is just to busy and having too much fun to get up and go use it himself. Make him get up every hour and try.
    mom858

Answer by mom858 at 10:05 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• If he's anything like my son, he's probably just lazy or too busy. Too busy playing, too busy reading, too busy doing anything to go to the bathroom. Unfortuneatly it took my niece (3 months younger than my son) to make fun of him for wearing a pull up and being a baby. Soon after the incident he was completely potty trained during the day. We're still working on nighttime, but after the last 4 years I'm good with that. Good luck!
    kryssie78

Answer by kryssie78 at 8:38 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• OMG I am dealing with the same thing right now!! my son is potty trained but he decides he wants to pee in his clothes its driving me crazy!! and he dosen't even seem to care of even bother him. PLEASE HELP MOMMAS!!

SweetMama823

Answer by SweetMama823 at 8:43 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• Hmmm...so I guess I'm just going to have to suck it up and continue telling him until he catches on. SweetMama823, Leaps and Bounds makes a potty watch for a child to wear to remind them when to go potty. I think I'm going to invest in this. Instead of me having to tell him to go I think it would be better if he was doing it on his own so hopefully it will become a learned behavior. Best wishes! Thanks ladies for your comments. :)
    vnw1405

Answer by vnw1405 at 6:11 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• I know my son has not mastered all the snaps, buttons, zipper, etc. If / when he waits until the last minute, he can't get his pants off fast enough- thus having an accident.

Could this be part of your problem too?
    lulajean

Answer by lulajean at 11:29 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• lulajean, no that isn't the issue. He has no problem getting any of his pants off. He can undo all buttons and zippers. I button and zip them when he is done. I know it's just because he is being lazy but I was hoping for an easier way to get him to go without being reminded. Oh well. Nothing in life is easy. LOL
    vnw1405

Answer by vnw1405 at 1:31 PM on Jan. 21, 2009