Has anyone had this problem with their kid?

My son is 3(he will be 4 in July) and he has a speech problem.He can talk but he doesn't talk nearly as clear as other kids his age.He is taking speech therapy,but it doesn't seem to be helping.He also isn't potty trained.He is smart but at the same time I'm starting to worry.Has anyone had this problem with their kids?Or is there something wrong with him?

nikkiJ86

Asked by nikkiJ86 at 8:35 PM on Jan. 20, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• it could be something as simple as a developmental delay, which is easily fixed with speech/ot therapy or it could be something like autisim/aspergers.
    if you're really worried, you need to take him to his dr
    bi-polarmommy

Answer by bi-polarmommy at 9:05 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• go to the local childfind
    good luck
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 9:06 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• If you are worried then there is no reason to just go a head and have your fears relieved. As in have a specialist evaluate your child. I would start by seeing a pediatric behaviorist or a pediatric psychologist. Then I would also find a speech therapist who seemed to give me the impression that things are moving along. Some progress. First, discuss why things are at a standstill with the therapist. Then if you don't feel you have a satisfactory answer - fire her. Go some place else. I did and I don't regret it. You have the right to be satisfied with the services that your child is getting. If you are not then that is the good thing about therapy - usually many other people can provide that service as well or better. Moms have instinct. Go with that.  Is it nothing?  Find out!

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:14 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• I work with 3-5 year olds with special needs and your son is much like the children I serve every day. If your son has had a speech delay for almost 5 years, then he has some catching up to do. There are windows of opportunity for children to learn their speech sounds and for some reason he missed those, so be patient and know that progress could be slow at first. How long has he been in therapy? Does your child have ear infections? Has he had his hearing tested? If he is having difficulty hearing because of fluid in his ears or because of a hearing problem, then his progress in speech will be slowed. Also, do you have any preschool programs that he could attend? Children learn speech sounds from their peers because they provide speech models on a daily basis.
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 12:42 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• Continued.....
    You mentioned that he is not potty trained. Have you committed to working on potty training at home? Take him to the potty on a timed toileting schedule. Every 40-60 minutes tell him it is time to go to the bathroom, don't ask him if he needs to go just take him. Reward him for using the potty with a sticker or small toy. If you see that he is ready to try, don't get pull ups. The children just see them as glorified diapers! Good Luck!
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 12:46 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• How long has he been in speech? My 3 year old has been in speech since October (for articulation) and we've seen some progress (he's also in OT for fine motor skills). Remember that they work on one letter at a time and consistency is key. Remember to work with him when the therapist isn't around, too. My 3 year old will self correct now...but still needs a reminder ever once in a while ("do you mean wittle or LLLittle" stretching out and emphasizing the letter in question)

On the other hand, be careful not to over correct. My 2 year old is also in speech and he's sensitive to correction....too much and he shuts down.

TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:43 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• When they did his evaluation, did they mention any other concerns? What were his educational and psychological evaluation reports like? Did they mention to monitor anything? No...I'm not asking for the information, just drawing your attention to look...maybe there were some other concerns listed there?

My 3 year old is now potty training and we've had to force it a bit....in underwear, making him "go try" every hour or two, putting towels on all the furniture...LOL

TiccledBlue

• I have the same problems with my daughter who is also 3 years old. She has been in speech therapy for over 1 1/2 years now and she is talking better, but it's still hard for outsiders to understand what she is trying to say. She is also NOT potty trained, but seems smart as a whip to us! She does indeed have developmental delays due to her medical problems. If I were you, I would talk to your doctor and see how he/she feels about getting an evaluation done to see where your child is "lagging" on the developmental chart. I think that each child varies with speech, like my neice is going to be 2 years old and still doesn't say mama, or even dada... SHE says NOTHING!! She is in speech and has nothing wrong with her hearing... etc. I think that your son will be just fine even if he doesn't get speech therapy! Everyone learns at their own rate! Good Luck to you and your family!
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 8:05 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• I am having the exact same issue with my son. He will be 4 in June. He has been in speech therapy for a year and is getting better little by little. I see no dramatic results but there is a little change. He too still isn't potty trained. I recently took him to an occupational therapist and it turns out that he has some sensory problems and delayed motorskill issues. Since he started occupational therapy he has been improving more rapidly and he's beginning to understand potty training. I think we still have a long way to go. I would take him to an occupational therapist for a consultation. Most consultations are free and you may get more answers there. If they don't think it's an issue no harm done. Good luck
    shelleyla20

Answer by shelleyla20 at 1:44 PM on Jan. 21, 2009