any of you moms yellers?

I yell to much any suggestions on finding new ways to get rid of frustration.My kids think I am a joke and laugh

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:45 AM on Jul. 19, 2008 in General Parenting

• go scream into a pillow! lol. do something other than yell..sounds too easy i know. obviously yelling has no effect, so dont yell. just punish..if need be of course. itll surprise them i think. sometimes when i need to yell to let off steam, i shout out the lyrics to a song real loud. its like yelling, but really singing, lol :)
    briyeti

Answer by briyeti at 1:49 AM on Jul. 19, 2008

• I grew up in a yelling household, so I try my hardest not to yell. If need be, I leave the room until I can cool off a little and just lay in bed or listen to music. I try to get down to their level when talking to them (mine are still pre-schoolers) and I have to tell them that I am not joking and I am not playing...then I tell them whatever the issue is.
    scratch_n_sniff

Answer by scratch_n_sniff at 2:01 AM on Jul. 19, 2008

• take up boxing :p
    Sweet_nothings

Answer by Sweet_nothings at 2:12 AM on Jul. 19, 2008

• yelling is the hardest thing for me NOT to do! you would be a more effective parent if you did not yell. you're going to have to tone down as hard as it will be to retrain yourself. when me and my daughter are at odds, she likes to cover her ears and sing "lalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalala" while i'm trying to talk to her. it makes me sooo angry! but i chose to say what i need to say very quietly. i keep it simple. there's usually two choices. one that will be the right choice and if she goes the other way - one with consequences. despite the rucous she is making while i speak QUIETLY- she does hear me. i leave her alone and, usually, within a half an hour - she becomes entirely cooperative. all i can say is you need to visualize in your mind when your in the battle that if you scream - they don't hear and then visualize you speaking quietly and getting the response you desire. speak quietly. they will hear you loud and clear.
    SannySoo

Answer by SannySoo at 2:17 AM on Jul. 19, 2008

• I was the yelling queen. My grandmother kept telling me to speak with a really soft voice then the kids would be quiet to listen. yeah right. whatever! Now that my kids are grown I no longer yell. My life is peaceful. LOL>>>>but now my kids yell at their kids. OMG it's cyclical! Yes, kids learn what they live. My oldest dd yelled at her son and I swear it was my words coming out her mouth. I felt bad. I'd say try meditation but that didn't work for me. every time I found tranquility one of the kids stole it from me and I'd have to yell to tell them to bring it back! Try singing!

Answer by admckenzie at 2:18 AM on Jul. 19, 2008

• go over to the preschoolers questions, theres a good debate going on over there about yelling!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:24 AM on Jul. 19, 2008