What do you think of the commercials for high fructose corn syrup?

Do you think they are being honest? Do you try to minimize the amount of HFCS in your family's diet?

TanyaR1024

Asked by TanyaR1024 at 8:41 PM on Jan. 20, 2009 in Food & Drink

• I think that they have gotten hit in the pocket book and are trying to get the message out that its not as bad as everyone makes it out to be as they say "in moderation" too bad its put in everything!
    JennRN09

Answer by JennRN09 at 8:48 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• I think they are pathetic! It is just an attempt to mislead the public into thinking this stuff isn't bad for you. Yes, it is made from "good, wholesome corn," but the body does not digest it like regular old sucrose (table sugar) or glucose (one half of table sugar). It contributes far more to weight gain than if you ate an equivalent amount of table sugar. So, yes, I definitely limit my family's intake. Even my 5 year-old knows if the food he wants contains high fructose corn syrup, I won't be buying it.
    yarnjunkie

Answer by yarnjunkie at 8:56 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• lol my kids know about it too! I tried to buy crackers the other day-freaking crackers!-and couldn't find ONE brand that did not have HFCS!! Moderation huh? Yet it's in our bread, yogurt, and just about everything else. I have replaced bread and yogurt with kinds that don't have HFCS. Now I'm on the hunt for CRACKERS! Please tell me why crackers would need HFCS? lol
    TanyaR1024

Answer by TanyaR1024 at 9:12 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• They're a joke. Notice they don't even try to argue all the facts about HFCS...they just say "it's made of corn and is ok in moderation"...well, yes, any idiot can figure out it's made of corn, hence the name CORN syrup...and as to moderation, well that's a very subjective term, isn't it? What they don't bother to tell you is that HFCS is not digested the same as other sugars. Your body has to basically shut down your liver while it's digesting. They also forget to mention how it's the single most prolific food additive, and that it is the largest dietary contributor to metabolic syndromes and diabetes. Not only that but it also causes your body to crave more so you eat more and gain more.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 9:58 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• I think they figure telling us it's made from corn will make us think it's "healthy"! lol. The sad thing is, I bet plenty of people are buying it!
    TanyaR1024

Answer by TanyaR1024 at 10:12 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• TanyaR1024--I don't think that Kashi TLC crackers have any HFCS in them. They're tasty and healthy too. As far as the question goes, I try to limit HFCS. I know we will have it in some stuff such as the marinades we use for our meats, so we try to cut it out in other places. Instead of buying packaged snack foods or mixes, we make our treats homemade with regular old sugar. I buy the Kashi brand often too. Not only is HFCS bad for our bodies, it is also bad for our environment. I never would have thought about it til I read this post in the Washington Post:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/03/06/AR2008030603294.html
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 10:24 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• HFCS is in everything. . . You even have to watch the canned fruit and applesause. . .
    chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 10:30 PM on Jan. 20, 2009

• Those commercials are a joke!

We are a no HFCS household.
    jeremysmom04

Answer by jeremysmom04 at 12:09 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• re: Crackers

If you have a Trader Joe's near you, they have several kinds of crackers that have no High Fructose Corn Syrup...my favorite being the multi-grain. Delicious!
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 4:02 AM on Jan. 21, 2009

• I will look for the Kashi crackers. I don't have a Trader Joes (I wish!) but I do have a small health food store but I don't get there often so I was hoping to find something at the Food Lion I shop at. I love the Club crackers but they have HFCS :(
    AprilDJC-you could probably find marinades without HFCS. Crap, now I gotta go check our stuff like that for it. lol. Didn't even think about it!
    TanyaR1024

Answer by TanyaR1024 at 8:23 AM on Jan. 21, 2009